AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

issue saving selection in max 2014

HI guys,

I have run into an issue when trying to save a volume selection through xmesh. It works on a standard objects sphere, box etc. but when you add an edit poly or convert it to edit poly it doesn’t seem to save the selection. Thats not normal is it?

Thank you for your report! We will look into this.

Hi guys

Any update on this? I was hoping to use this for something soon.

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay!

I don’t have a fix for this yet, but I did notice a workaround. If you go into the XMesh Saver dialog -> Advanced Settings rollout and enable “Save Polymesh”, then it should save the vertex selection. Will this work for you?

Yup thats good . Thanks!

Well actually, dosen’t seem to work. I got it to save once but now I can’t get it to work. With any combinations polymesh on or off.

Sorry, there is something else I missed here.

First, you’ll need to save with “Save Polymesh” enabled. (This seems like an issue to me, and I will look into it.)

Second, you’ll also need to make sure that the object is in “Vertex” selection level. You can check this by looking for three points in the top-right corner of your modifier stack:

xmesh_saver_vol_select2.png
Here we see the three points, so if you have a Vol. Select at the top of the modifier stack, it should work.

But if we have an Edit Poly at the top of the stack, the top-right corner is now empty. This indicates that the object is in “Object” selection level, and XMesh will not save the Selection channel:

xmesh_saver_edit_poly.png
We can change it back to “Vertex” selection level by adding a “Turn to Poly” or a “Turn to Mesh” modifier. After adding this modifier, the object is changed back to Vertex selection level, and it should save the Selection channel as expected:

xmesh_saver_turn_to_poly.png

Hi Paul

I definitely did that but I still cant get it to work. I have attached the test file I was trying it out in. What version of Xmesh are you using? I am using 1.2.2.54
ac.max (244 KB)

Thank you for the scene file!

It appears that there is an issue with XMesh preserving the selection when saving a mesh as a polymesh or vice versa.

In this scene, all of the objects are regular triangle meshes (no Edit Poly modifiers), so you’ll need to keep “Save Polymesh” off.

Hi Paul

Thanks for looking into this, I got that first test scene to work. Following what you said for my actual scene I should turn on save Polymesh as it has edit poys and modifiers on it. But that dosen’t seem to work. I have uploaded the file to dropbox.

dropbox.com/s/hzz8u6jb74ufp … _scene.zip

Thanks

Thank you! I have reproduced the problem, and I will look into it.

As a workaround, would it be acceptable for you to save the object as a triangle mesh instead? That is, add a “Turn to Mesh” modifier to the top of the “Base” object’s modifier stack, and turn off “Save Polymesh”?

Yes thats fine, I just need the selection on the base object as I am using it to drive another system. I just had a quick look seems to be ok now. Thanks.

Great, thank you for letting us know!

Please let us know if you encounter any further problems.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences