AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

XMeshLoader and OBJ sequence

Tried to load obj-sequence from 3rd-party software and found that it is not working… Is the XMeshLoader supports OBJ-sequences which was exported not by XMeshSaver?

It’s supposed to work. It looks like there’s an issue in our OBJ loading.

Would it be possible for you to please send us a copy of the OBJ file that you are loading? You can send us files by using our ticket system. You may need to ZIP the OBJ file to get it through.

here is three types of OBJ which I used and all of them is not supported by XMeshLoader… as minimum, in my case…
obj.rar (12.7 MB)

Thank you!

Unfortunately I can’t seem to reproduce the problem. Can you confirm that you are using the exact files that you uploaded?

We fixed an issue related to OBJ file loading in XMesh Loader 1.1.8, so you might want to try using a newer version. To access the newer version, please contact our Sales Department.

yes, I confirm that I’m using those files which I’ve uploaded… so it works on your side, right?

Yes, it works for me. Here is particles_mesh.0000.0041.obj in 3ds Max 2013 using Nitrous viewport:

ok I see… and you used the same version…??

Yes, I used the same older version in my testing. It may be worth trying a new build anyways, in case this was caused by some other issue that we fixed.

Does this issue appear if you restart 3ds Max, and create the XMesh Loader before doing anything else?

yes, tried it few times.
sent XMeshLoader request to sales dept.
thanks.

Thank you for your report!

I have now reproduced this problem. It’s due to an internationalization problem in the XMesh Loader. This problem is still present in the latest version.

As a workaround, you could temporarily change your computer’s numeric format to English (in Windows 7: Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Formats, change Format to English).

Is this problem urgent for you?

ah, surprise :slight_smile: will try soon :slight_smile: thanks! I’ll give you to know…

well… what do I have:

1. I’ve changed numeric format to English and I didn’t install new build of XMesh first and I’ve got the following:
    • when I use lower resolution in OBJ-sequence XMeshLoader works well, I see the mesh in viewport and it rendering well
    • when I use higher res OBJs I have a problem, when I jumping between frames my object dissapears in viewport and the result on a rendering stage comes to be flat.
  2. I’ve installed the new build of XMeshLoader and… I have the same problem… HiRes objects dissapears and rendering as flat shaded…
    I’ve tried to restart MAX, delete\create XMeshLoader… not helped.

OBJ_mid_n_hi.rar (4.17 MB)

Thank you for your report!

This problem appears to be related to the explicit vertex normals. As a workaround, perhaps you could turn off saving vertex normals in your OBJ exporter?

ok, we’re turned off saving of vertex normals in our converter and all works fine!! will you support vertex normals in future releases?

Alright, good to hear!

Yes, this issue and the numeric format issue will be fixed in our next release.

Thank you again for telling us about these problems!

cool! thanks a lot!

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences