AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

[10.0.21.5] Harmless libpython symlink warning

Installing Deadline 10.0.21.5 off of a SAMBA share to a Linux node was resulting in the following warning:

Please wait while Setup installs Deadline Client on your computer.

Installing
 0% ______________ 50% ______________ 100%
 #####################Unable to create symbolic link /opt/Thinkbox/Deadline10/bin/libpython2.7.so -> ../lib/libpython2.7.so
Abort, Retry, Ignore ? [A/r/i]i

###################The Deadline 10 Launcher Service is not currently running.
Failed to shut down the Deadline 10 Launcher Service nicely, forcing exit...
The Deadline 10 Launcher Service has been stopped.
The Deadline 10 Launcher Service has been started.
#

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup has finished installing Deadline Client on your computer.

In checking the /bin and /lib directory of the Deadline install I can confirm libpython2.7.so does exist in both locations. Should there be any concern about this seemingly harmless warning?

Cheers,
Mike

That’s a new one for me… It might be because you’ve run an upgrade? There was a change to the build process, so it may become a problem on fresh machined.

I’ll go ask about it, but was this a fresh install?

This was not. These servers have been running Deadline since Deadline 10.0.10.x or whereabouts. This is the first time I’ve seen this happen as well.

The OS itself (CentOS 7.4.1804) had been upgraded to kernel 3.10.0-862.14.4 from 11.6 (and all the normally associated libraries) a day or two prior.

I should note that everything does seem to be working just fine. I brought this up as it could possibly interrupt automated and unattended updates.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

This is a bug with the 10.0.21.5 Linux installers, specifically for CentOS. Essentially, the installer is trying to make a new symlink over top of an existing one, resulting in the error. This creates a broken symlink that exists in the /bin directory, but doesn’t actually point to the library in /lib, so it’s not exactly harmless. Since the symlink is broken, it will cause issues with autoupgrading to future versions, as you called out. This issue has been addressed however and will be fixed in the next version of Deadline.

As for your case here I would recommend one of the following:

1. Deleting the symlink in the /bin directory, and then running the client installer again,
  2. Uninstalling and reinstalling the client again

I hope that helps, but let me know if you get any other errors.

Thanks,
Caden

1 Like

Hi Caden,

I’ll take your word for it but the symlink does exist in /bin, but points to the /bin/python/lib directory object. Based off of size alone it is identical to the one found in /lib.

[Deadline10]$ ll bin/ | grep libpython
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root   root         6 Sep  4 21:34 libpython2.7.so -> python/lib/libpython2.7.so
[Deadline10]$ ll lib/ | grep libpython
 rwxrwxrwx.  1 nobody nobody 7913122 Oct 11 10:33 libpython2.7.so
 rwxrwxrwx.  1 nobody nobody 7913122 Oct 11 10:33 libpython2.7.so.1.0
[Deadline10]$ ll bin/python/lib | grep libpython
 rwxrwxrwx.  1 nobody nobody 7913122 Oct 11 10:33 libpython2.7.so
 rwxrwxrwx.  1 nobody nobody 7913122 Oct 11 10:33 libpython2.7.so.1.0

Are you seeing a similar result on your end?

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the added info. We had another customer that had a broken symlink as a result of this bug, which is why I assumed yours would be. We shuffled some things around for the 10.0.21.5 Linux release, so for the sake of keeping things where they need to be for upgrades in the future, I’d recommend deleting the symlink and reinstalling just to be safe. But you are right, it does seem to be pointing to the same library, so you shouldn’t encounter any issues related to this for this version of Deadline.

Thanks,
Caden

Hi Caden,

Thank you for the information. I didn’t realize you guys moved things around. I can take care of this later tonight. If you need any other information from me regarding this just ask!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Actually, since the symlink seems to work for you and you’re not encountering any issues, you can probably leave it as is. The installer change that’s coming in the next version of Deadline will delete any existing libpython2.7.so symlink in the /bin directory before making a new one, which will clean this up for you anyway. So if you’re planning on running the installer from the next release when it comes out, you should be fine.

Thanks,
Caden

Hi Caden,

Great, thanks for the quick support! If anything starts to act up, then I’ll take a stab as reinstalling.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi all,

Sorry I dont know if its still an issue. I seem to run into same issue installing Deadline Web Service from Deadline Client 10.2.0.10. Any help on this would be appreciative.

Setup is now ready to begin installing Deadline Client on your computer.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n]: Y

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please wait while Setup installs Deadline Client on your computer.

Installing
 0% ______________ 50% ______________ 100%
 ########################################Error changing permissions to 0777 in /opt/Thinkbox/Deadline10/lib/python3/lib/lib
Abort, Retry, Ignore ? [A/r/i]r

Hello @rajendran_u

This is still an known bug that had identified for Deadline 10.2 versions, our Engineering Team is aware of this and they are working on this Issue. I can’t share the details of roadmap due to Amazon policy, but would recommend to keep an eye for deadline future version releases that includes bug fixes.

Regarding warning you are seeing, it’s not something that blocks install or the functionality of the installed applications. Here is another forums thread related to same that customer had workaround of creating an empty file that the symlink points to.

Thank you @Nreddy. Appreciate the response over it.

Noticed the same thread last night - had it sorted now.
Pretty much everything seem to work as expected. Have a good one!

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences