AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Configure environment variables passed to jobs without modifying submitters

Is there a way to globally, or maybe per plugin type, configure the deadline submitter to carry specific environment variables, or (maybe even just a set of custom data?) to the render task environment without creating a custom submitter?

background:
I’m working on a system to integrate our pipeline software management setup with deadline job submission. Our pipeline uses a package manager to access centrally installed software.

So far I’ve followed the example in the docs to be able to leverage the GlobalJobPreLoad.py and ModifyCommandLineCallback to have Deadline run a script that configures the environment on the render node before running the task.

But our users have dynamic environments - so I want to grab the list of packages they have loaded at submission time and take data through to the render task.

I can do it by creating a custom submitter and adding some EnvironmentKeyValue# data - but this would be my only modification to submitter, so I would rather not if possible!

Any suggestions for this, or another way to achieve the same result, would be much appreciated!

This is an old thread, but I think everything still applies.

tl;dr: Either create a customized plugin or event plugin.

Ah, event plugin has done the trick! I did read about them in the docs before but had thought that they would all be executed on the server side - that’ll teach me to read docs properly.

The one gotcha I found in testing was in re-submitting jobs via the monitor: the event runs again but we’re now in a different env.

I just had to make sure I didn’t overwrite any existing env variable setting on the job.

Thanks for your help!

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences