AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Could Not Detect Deadline Repository Directory

I was having an issue with RenderMan’s denoise command not running when jobs are submitted through deadline so I decided to reinstall the repository, client, and submitter. But now, when installing the submitter, I get an error:

“Could not detect the Deadline Repository Directory because there was an error running deadlinecommand.exe from /Applications/Thinkbox/Deadline10/Resources.”

The path is correct and is the default installation location chosen by the installer.

Anyone know how I might start troubleshooting this? Much appreciated.

For anyone experiencing this issue on macOS:

I got the installer to work by opening the terminal and running the installer with root privileges:

1. Find the submitter installer in the submission folder inside your repository folder.
    ( In my case /Applications/Thinkbox/DeadlineRepository10/submission/Maya/Installers)
  2. Right-click on the submitter installer and click “Show Package Contents”
  3. Navigate to Contents/MacOS
  4. In Terminal, type “sudo” followed by a space and then drag the installer file in Contents/MacOS onto that same line in Terminal.
  5. Type your admin password for you computer.

This will run the installer with root privileges and resolve the issue.

I realize I’m installing the repository in my applications folder instead of a shared drive, which might be the source of this issue, but currently I don’t have a NAS and I just chose the default location given in the installer.

Perhaps Thinkbox staff can add this to the documentation somewhere regarding this issue on macOS when installing in the default directory? Not sure what other issues this installation might cause, but I’ll report them here for future readers.

there was a hack-y workaround where you just give the shell elevated permissions, I think there was a better way that was released removing the need to do this.

osx is always painful, i wouldn’t be suprised if the other issue was similarly related to security/permissions

1 Like

Definitely. Permissions seem to be the usual cause of a lot of my grief.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences