AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Crashes on Windows 10 version 1909 (November 2019 Update)

I got a note from @mikeowen that a few customers have had issues with applications crashing (Deadline included) when upgrading Windows to build 1909. So far we have one report where Mantra was involved. It seems that 1809 doesn’t have issues.

Has anyone tried upgrading yet? Just doing some research here.

Turns out FontSync seems to break things. We’re not sure yet what part of it, but likely the RegisterFont() call which sends a Windows message to all open windows.

So, from another thread here on the forums it seems that things work for them when changing the Font Sync to execute only when the Worker starts works around it.

This isn’t the case for the other customer we’ve seen this with (crashes every time).

@kontakt what version of Windows are you on?

hey, we all run windows 10 on 1909 - but we all have this problem since a few months, and i upgraded to 1909 a few weeks ago. on 1809, we had the same issue…

iam not sure if we had this on 1803 aswell…

Just an update: We’ve reproduced the error. We’re not sure at all how to fix the problem yet and I don’t expect we’ll get to it soon. Do chime in here if it’s affecting your workflow (@kontakt I have you down as affected already).

Any updates on this? We’re also trying to get FontSync working and are experiencing the explorer crashes.

Do you have any workarounds? If we instead tried syncing “On Slave Startup” instead so explorer only crashes once, how could we easily go about restarting all available workers? Often when I try the remote commands in Monitor, some workers will respond and others will just error and say no connection can be reached.

What version of Windows are you on? You can check with winver. We haven’t heard much more about this in the past year than what’s on this forum thread.

1909 (build 18363.418)

I have a concern that this crash problem might actually be with that build of Windows. Do you have imaging in place that you could safely try an upgrade on a render machine as a test? I’m running 20H2 over here myself.

We’re actually getting ready to roll out updates in the coming weeks to our machines so hopefully that does the trick then. As soon as I get to test a machine, I’ll report back. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

1 Like

@eamsler - It still crashes. Just tested on a worker machine with Windows 20H2 (19042.867).

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences