AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Custom Vray Next Plugin

Hi,
I would like to duplicate the Vray plugin so that I have two Vray plugins that point to different executables. One for the latest stable version and one for the beta version.

What steps do I have to do in order to duplicate the Vray plugin?

Cheers, Florian

Is it Vray standalone or a plugin integration for a 3D/comp program?

For a standalone type deadline plugin I Think good reference for something like that would be “//your_repository/plugins/Arnold/” plugin that already has the option to have two different builds as “Beta” and “Release”.

I would like to duplicate the Vray standalone plugin.

1. Then I’d just copy “//your_repository/plugins/Vray” to “//your_repository/custom/plugins/Vray” so that you don’t loose the original. Keep in mind that the custom version will over raid the standard version. You could also give it a custom name and keep the option of using the standard version.
    https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/10.0/1_User%20Manual/manual/application-plugins.html

2. Follow the example of how it’s done in Arnold plugin “//your_repository/plugins/Arnold/ ”

3. Then make copy of all the submitters to “//your_repository/custom/submission/submitter_name” and modify them to use the option.

1 Like

I like it! Making a copy in “custom” is a good plan as it will be saved if upgrades occur.

Another angle (just to give another perspective) is to copy the entire “VRay” folder to custom but rename it and it’s containing files to say, “VrayBeta”, then change the “Plugin=” line in your submitted job info to match that plugin’s name.

You’ll also have a new entry in the “Configure Plugins” window.

OK, I think I figured out how to duplicate the standard Vray plugin. I’ll just post it here for future reference. This works for me even better than the ability to choose the Vray version in the submit dialog since I can enforce different limits on the two plugins.

1. Copied \plugins\Vray to \custom\Plugins\VrayNext.
  2. Renamed all files in the folder to VrayNext.*
  3. Configured the plugin to use the correct executable.
  4. Copied \submission\VRay to \custom\submission\VRayNext
  5. Copied \scripts\Submission\VraySubmission.py to \custom\scripts\Submission\VrayNextSubmission.py
  6. Enabled VrayNext in “Configure Script Menus”.

Made some changes in VrayNextSubmission.py:

1. Line 26 from vraySubmissionPath = RepositoryUtils.GetRepositoryPath( "submission/VRay/Main", True) to vraySubmissionPath = RepositoryUtils.GetRepositoryPath( "custom/submission/VRayNext/Main", True)
  2. Line 55 from scriptDialog.SetTitle( "Submit V-Ray Job To Deadline" )to scriptDialog.SetTitle( "Submit V-RayNext Job To Deadline" )
  3. Line 601 from jobInfoFilename = Path.Combine( ClientUtils.GetDeadlineTempPath(), "vray_job_info.job" ) to jobInfoFilename = Path.Combine( ClientUtils.GetDeadlineTempPath(), "vrayNext_job_info.job" )
  4. Line 603 from writer.WriteLine( "Plugin=Vray" ) to `writer.WriteLine( “Plugin=VrayNext”
  5. Line 681 from pluginInfoFilename = Path.Combine( ClientUtils.GetDeadlineTempPath(), "vray_plugin_info.job" ) to pluginInfoFilename = Path.Combine( ClientUtils.GetDeadlineTempPath(), "vrayNext_plugin_info.job" )

Cheers, Florian

2 Likes
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences