AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

DBR nodes say they’re connected (Deadline), but they aren’t actually contributing to the render

Versions

• 3ds Max 2022.3
  • V-Ray 5, update 1.4
  • Deadline 10.2.1.1

Problem

DBR jobs will indicate nodes are picked up, but the CPU utilization and DRBucket AOV do not show any actual usage of those nodes. Render times for non-DBR and DBR are the same, further indicating the nodes aren’t actually contributing to the rendering. These are renders which typically take hours on a single node so this is not an issue of not giving enough time for the other nodes to pick up.

Repro Steps:

1. Submit job to Deadline with DBR enabled (any number of nodes).

2. Job is picked up, as well as all of the nodes.

3. The primary task frame (0) has full CPU usage, but all other frames hover around 2%.

4. Vraylog.txt indicates the nodes were picked up and are connected to DBR.

5. Deadline task log for each frame indicates this too.

6. VRayDRBucket AOV only shows the buckets only rendered by the primary node.

Remoting into any of the nodes other than the primary node shows 3ds Max running as a background process. For what it’s worth, Deadline Worker is running, but there is no GUI present.

Any help or direction would be appreciated, thanks!
Thomas

We have a few different threads about this. Here’s one worth a read:

My best guess is that there are firewalls blocking inbound connections to the V-Ray listening port for DR. I’d make sure you can communicate to all the machines because I believe task 0 is always the main controller. Looks like it’s 20202 to 20212 from our docs linked in that thread.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences