AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline Context [deadlinecommand] vs Standalone API

Howdy all!

Been scouring the documentation and running a couple tests to figure out the true pros and cons of mainly the Standalone API. It seems like it’s always better (faster and more functionality) to use the Deadline Context, with the only con being that Deadline needs to be installed on the machine running (so it can access /Program Files/Thinkbox/bin/deadlinecommand.exe).

Meanwhile the Standalone API’s only pro is that it can be run from anywhere, but is slow, clunky, and reduced functionality.

Is there more to it that I’m missing or should I try to tailor the pipeline using the Deadline Context, since not having the Deadline client isn’t an issue in my situation.

Any discussion of personal experience and tests is appreciated!

Yeah most of the time using “Scripting API” (as the internal one is called) is better and more direct.
You are right the main advantage of standalone is portability - it only needs http and that’s it. Also standalone behaves more like someone interacting with the Deadline monitor.
Indeed we only use standalone when running from “weird machines” that do not have direct access to the repository.

Thank you for the reply! Was the sanity check that I needed :slightly_smiling_face:.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences