AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline10 AWS Portal Tokyo Region EC2 Spot Fleet GPU Type Inquiry

Hi. I am a Deadline 10 AWS Portal user.

We have built Deadline 10.0.22.3 in the AWS Tokyo region.

Items of G2, G3, P2, P3 are not visible in GPU - Instance Type at Start Spot Fleet.

Why are GPU instances not visible in the item? (Attachments)

This is a very good question - I spent the last week in Japan and I am still sitting in my hotel in Tokyo. I saw this happening at least twice, both in v10.0.21 and 10.0.23. However, I just tried it again and all g2, g3, p2 and p3 instance types showed up as expected.

I suspect the problem is not in Deadline itself, but that sometimes the request to enumerate available instance types might be returning a shorter list for some internal AWS reason. I will try to dive deeper into this and will report back if I can find an answer from the EC2 team.

Hello. I am having the same issue now. Was there more information discovered? I see documentation online suggesting p3 should be available

Sorry for the late reply.

When you launch an Infrastructure, the default behavior is to randomly select an Availability Zone from the Region (“No Preference”).

If you look at the Spot Pricing History in the Console in a region like Tokyo, you will notice that while c5 instances are available in 3 zones (in my case I see ap-northeast-1a, ap-northeast-1c, ap-northeast-1d), the p3 instances are only available in 2 of them (in my case ap-northeast-1a and ap-northeast-1c).

So if the auto-configured AZ happens to be ap-northeast-1d, I would not see any p3 instances on the list, because the enumeration is using the AZ where the Infrastructure is running.

The solution would be to select an AZ manually. I cannot tell you which one does not have p3, because data centers are assigned randomly to users, meaning that my 1a might not be your 1a… But if you select an AZ when launching the Infrastructure and then the Spot Fleet Request dialog shows p3, you can keep on selecting that AZ manually to get p3s listed. The Spot Fleet Request will only request them from the AZs that actually contain them…

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences