AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline8 Monitor Startup Error

Hello !

I’ve been testing Deadline lately but I’ve got a few issues when trying to connect to Repository with a Proxy Server.

I have set up Repository, Database and Client on an ubuntu 18.04 VM, everything seems to work fine and the proxy server is running.
I have successfully installed Client on another VM (ubuntu18.04), though when I launch Deadline Monitor and try to connect to Repository through the Proxy, I get this Monitor Startup Error:
“Traceback (most recent call last):
File “UI/Forms/MainWindowStartup.py”, line 146, in Startup
UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode characters in position 79-81: ordinal not in range(128)”

I’m using Deadline 8.0.0.69 for both Client and Repository

Hello!

You’ve got Unicode in a hostname which isn’t being handled properly. I’m not sure when that got fixed, but the workaround for Deadline 8 was to use the IP address in your ‘connection.ini’ file. That file lives in “[repository]/settings/”. Or you could grab a more modern version of Deadline to test with, as 8 is really old at this point.

Hello Justin and thank you for the answer ! The thing is that I’ve already changed that (removing the hostname and keeping only the IP address in my file) and I still got the error…
I will change if I can’t find any workaround…

Oh dang. It’s hard to find notes from that many years ago so I’m not sure what else I’ve got for you.

But I’d highly recommend testing stuff out with 10.1 instead of 8 if possible. You could also crack open that file and start trying to fix it, it might be as easy as fixing the ascii string literals.

Bad (ASCII) string literal: "Unable to connect..."
Good (Unicode) string literal: u"Unable to connect..."

You were right, things have been much more easier changing Deadline version ! (I chose this solution in the end)
Thanks for the suggestion !

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences