AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Feature wish: Corona DBR via 3ds Command Job submission

Hello

Are there any plans to add Corona DBR options to the monitor 3ds Max Command submission? Is it feasible?

Hello Dave,

As Corona DR has it’s own submitter, we haven’t put much thought into integrating it with another submitter. Can you advise why your idea would be preferable? You can read up on the Corona DR support at docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … na-dr.html if you want.

Hi Dwight

I’ve been using the Corona DBR submitter in 3ds Max and it works well, the only problem is that, as far as I can tell, it uses up a 3ds Max workstation licence. The nice thing about using the 3ds command submission with V-Ray DBR is that it doesn’t need a workstation licence, and I wondered if there’s a way to achieve this with Corona as well.

Hello Dave,

I am looking into whether this is something we can control or not. Is this doable outside of Deadline? Can you explain how it is done in that situation? Thanks

To be honest I don’t know if it’s doable outside of deadline, I noticed that Deadline does it for V-Ray + 3ds Max and that got me thinking. Unfortunately my knowledge of how this is achieved isn’t very good.

To help things along I’ll ask Ondra from Corona if it’s possible…

Ondra’s response

Hello Dave,

The way we develop Deadline, we likely haven’t taken that into account, so if it won’t work with the submitter as it is now, it would likely need to be fixed in 7.2.

Cool, well it’s a feature that we would find extremely useful…

Thanks!

Hi,
Sorry, I’m a little confused, if your using our 3dsMax in-app Corona DR in-app submitter, then the “CoronaDR” job submitted into the Deadline queue, will run the Corona “DRServer.exe”, which then in-turn, runs “3dsmaxcmd.exe”, so we don’t have any controls on the license type pulled. Perhaps, I misunderstand and your submitting via SMTD or monitor? I’m not sure how adding the CoronaDR option to the 3dsCmd in-app/monitor submitter will help here, as Corona’s “DrServer.exe” is still the driver here. Can I check, your using the latest Corona version (v1.00.02?)

Hi Mike

I meant when submitting using Monitor. At the moment I’m using the 3ds Max in-app Corona DR submitter, but this means keeping 3ds Max open on the submission machine and using up a workstation license. Sorry if that wasn’t clear, think it got lost in the thread.

Ah, so we have a Monitor Corona DR submitter already in Deadline v7.1:
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … submission

Hmmm maybe I’m missing something really simple, or not explaining very well, but as I understand it the Monitor Corona DR Submission just reserves the nodes and starts drserver.exe on each one. Whereas the Monitor 3ds Max Command Submission let’s me submit a 3ds Max V-Ray or Mental Ray DBR job which as well as reserving the nodes also makes the slave that picks up task 0 a master that coordinates and acts as a host for the other slaves but crucially without needing 3ds Max open in workstation mode. As far as I can tell there’s no way currently to do this in deadline 7.1…

Ah, “off-load” Corona DR support in the monitor submitter. Right, gotcha. I’ll add it to the list to see if it’s possible. Thanks for your patience helping me understand!
(We should probably add the term “off-load” as a prefix to the V-Ray DR text label in the monitor submitter)

That’s the one!

Hi Mike

I just wondered if there’s any updates on the Corona off-load DBR feasibility? Would be great it is was possible!

Thanks

David

Hey David,
Not yet, but it’s probably something we can get to next’ish, after I’m done eating my Xmas pudding! :wink:
I’ll add your +1 to the existing internal ticket, which I notice got another +1 from another client a little while ago; which generally causes these things to jump to the front of the queue.
Hopefully more news in Jan, which is just round the corner :slight_smile:

Hey Mike, that’s great news, thanks. Enjoy the pudding(s) :slight_smile:

Hi Mike

Just wondered… has Corona offload progressed at all?

I’m managing fine without it but could do with it one day!

Alas not, we wait for Corona 1.6 potentially to add support, so we can hook up to it, as currently there is no mechanism:
trello.com/c/Kbhf98Uv/41-dr-improvements

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences