AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Grabbing Jobs Within Batch via Scripting

Hello! Simple request/question.

While browsing the docs, Deadline Scripting Reference: Welcome, I was unable to find any helpful information on finding batches and can’t develop a solution that doesn’t involve processing every job in the repo. Is there a solution that I’m missing?

Yeah, unfortunately I don’t think you can search by batch. It is just a string label in the job properties…
I would have liked having a function to query jobs by different criteria. Since Deadline uses pydotnet, they can put together some crazy Linq-style thing.

1 Like

Bummer! Thank you so much though. I didn’t know about pydotnet and Deadline’s use of it until now. Super helpful to know! I’ll post my solution here when I get around to implementing it.

I’m not a big fan of pydotnet, but sounds like it could allow lazy efficient querying of the database.

Back then I was trying to do something similar, may be of use if you end up just looping the repo jobs:

1 Like

Just wanted to give back to this community, so here’s a quick solution of those wondering of a way to grab jobs in a batch:

def getJobBatch(batchName, states = [], checkAll=False, invalidateCache=False):
    """Gets the other jobs in the batch.

Args:
        batchName (string): Name of the batch.

Returns:
        jobBatch (list): list of jobs in batch

"""
    if checkAll:
        searchJobs = RepositoryUtils.GetJobs(invalidateCache)
    elif any(states):
        searchJobs = RepositoryUtils.GetJobsInState(states) # no cache parameter?
    else:
        searchJobs = RepositoryUtils.GetJobsInState(['Pending','Active'])

jobBatch = filter(lambda job: job.JobBatchName == batchName, searchJobs)

return jobBatch

Looks like you’ve arrived at the only solution I’ve ever found to this as well: query all jobs & filter client-side.

Yeah I guess we can query by job-state, but whether or not this is also just a thin wrapper around client-side filtering remains to be determined.

The job query system is horribly inefficient imho, so some of our guys tend to resort to direct MongoDb queries. In an ideal scenario I think that particular route is the wrong way to go, but performance numbers kind of speak for themselves and if you’re just reading data it’s a low-risk adventure. Be careful writing data directly to the database though, that’s not always gone so well for us in the past.

2 Likes
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences