AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Houdini 18.5 error when I have custom utility scrips

I have some utility scripts that are located in
C:\Users%username%\Documents\houdini18.5\scripts

These include things like 123.cmd and a couple ‘onCreated.py’ scripts. Deadline fails (on ifd generation) when I have them enabled, but works fine when I remove this directory. The error message is below:

Error
=======================================================
FailRenderException : Error: name 'hou' is not defined
   at Deadline.Plugins.DeadlinePlugin.FailRender(String message) (Python.Runtime.PythonException)
  File "C:\ProgramData\Thinkbox\Deadline10\workers\Rocket012\plugins\6089c2d8d0893057b019b55b\Houdini.py", line 424, in HandleStdoutError
    self.FailRender(self.GetRegexMatch(1))
   at Python.Runtime.Dispatcher.Dispatch(ArrayList args)
   at __FranticX_Processes_ManagedProcess_StdoutHandlerDelegateDispatcher.Invoke()
   at FranticX.Processes.ManagedProcess.RegexHandlerCallback.CallFunction()
   at FranticX.Processes.ManagedProcess.e(String di, Boolean dj)
   at FranticX.Processes.ManagedProcess.Execute(Boolean waitForExit)
   at Deadline.Plugins.DeadlinePlugin.DoRenderTasks()
   at Deadline.Plugins.PluginWrapper.RenderTasks(Task task, String& outMessage, AbortLevel& abortLevel)
   at Deadline.Plugins.PluginWrapper.RenderTasks(Task task, String& outMessage, AbortLevel& abortLevel)

Type
RenderPluginException

Stack Trace
   at Deadline.Plugins.SandboxedPlugin.d(DeadlineMessage bcn, CancellationToken bco)
   at Deadline.Plugins.SandboxedPlugin.RenderTask(Task task, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Deadline.Slaves.SlaveRenderThread.c(TaskLogWriter aja, CancellationToken ajb)

Log

and another relevant part of the log:

2021-04-29 11:10:46:  0: DEBUG: PopupHandler.CheckForPopups: Getting popup handles
2021-04-29 11:10:46:  0: DEBUG: PopupHandler.CheckForPopups: Got 0 handles
2021-04-29 11:10:46:  0: DEBUG: PopupHandler.CheckForPopups: Returning
2021-04-29 11:10:46:  0: DEBUG: ManagedProcess.HandleStdoutLine: parsing stdout: C:/Users/JOSHHA~1/DOCUME~1/houdini18.5/scripts/123.cmd (112): Traceback (most recent call last):
2021-04-29 11:10:46:  0: STDOUT: C:/Users/JOSHHA~1/DOCUME~1/houdini18.5/scripts/123.cmd (112): Traceback (most recent call last):
2021-04-29 11:10:46:  0: DEBUG: ManagedProcess.HandleStdoutLine: parsing stdout:   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
2021-04-29 11:10:46:  0: STDOUT:   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
2021-04-29 11:10:46:  0: DEBUG: ManagedProcess.HandleStdoutLine: parsing stdout: NameError: name 'hou' is not defined
2021-04-29 11:10:46:  0: DEBUG: ManagedProcess.HandleStdoutLine: line was matched by handler "(Error: .*)"
2021-04-29 11:10:46:  0: DEBUG: ManagedProcess.Execute: returning
2021-04-29 11:10:46:  0: Done executing plugin command of type 'Render Task'

I suspect it has something to do with Houdini paths, or python, but it’s hard to pinpoint. Maybe a way to disable script loading on the farm? I’ve had this working at other studios, but this is a relatively new setup here. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Josh

Anyone else run into this or have a solution?

Weird, it’s saying that ‘hou’ is undefined. In other words, the Python that’s running this isn’t Houdini’s supplied Python, but the system Python. Why is the DL houdini plugin trying to execute this code?

Another issue might be that the files aren’t being brought over as auxiliary files (as I suspect that the workers don’t have access to your C:\ ).

Sorry, I know this isn’t much help.

I can’t say why it’s trying to run that code, but if you add C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 18.5.462\houdini\ (or your local equivalent) to your Python Search paths in the Monitor under Tools → Configure Repository Options → Python Search paths does it behave better?

I think I tried adding the Houdini path to the python settings in the Repository Options. I thought this was more for deadline python rather than Houdini python, but I’ll try this again.

And re: auxiliary files, the error is only showing up on the local workstation (my workstation with the scripts enabled). Would it help to have them accessible from other machines?

Well, it looks like that modification to the python options seemed to fix it. :slight_smile:
That was a relatively easy fix. Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences