AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Is there a way to restore a backed-up Database and Repository?

Hello.

Our MongoDB had stopped working properly so, after spending a few hours trying to fix that, I tried to reinstall the same version of Deadline over itself. I backed up both the Database and the Repository beforehand. Now that Deadline is working but empty, is there a way to get it to recognise the jobs that still exist in its job folder?

Thanks!

The jobs are stored within the Database unfortunately. The folders these days just hold optionally submitted scene files.

If you have a backup, you can install the Database on different machine and restore the files into the ‘data’ folder, then perform an export of the “Jobs” collection in the “deadline10db” database. I tend to do this as explained in this StackOverflow response.

If you’re using certificates it gets a bit tricky and I can try to expand on this when someone is, but for Deadline 10 it should be like so:

mongodump --port=27010 --db=deadline10db --collection=Jobs --out=/path/to/backup/data/

... copy this 'data' folder to the new machine ...

mongorestore --port=27010 --db=deadline10db --collection=Jobs /path/to/backup/data/deadline10db/Jobs.bson

I haven’t tested the above today, but I’ve done in plenty in the past.

Interesting aside: The fact that we use MongoDB object ids means that you should be able to import into an existing database and there should be no collisions. That said, doing that is not supported by the team here and you should absolutely make a backup before trying that.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences