AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Major problem - nothing renders anymore with beta 10

This is happening since we installed Beta 10 this afternoon. (Windows 7, 3ds Max)
Our slaves have just stopped rendering.
For example, the slave is rendering a frame that should take around 30 minutes, but it’s been rendering for 2 hours, CPU usage is at 0%, progress is stuck at 43%, and when I remote onto the slave, Max is just sitting there dead.

From 30 slaves that are currently active on the farm, only 8 are actually rendering, all of the others are just sitting there with the CPU at 0%.
I suspended all render jobs about 30 Minutes ago, and the Monitor is showing me that all of them are still rendering.
Remote desktop shows that Max and Deadline slave are just frozen.

In the console, I’ve got hundreds of messages saying:

2013-11-08 19:36:49: File "DeadlineMonitor\UI\Controls\JobListControl.py", line 602, in onNetworkSettingsUpdatedEvent 2013-11-08 19:36:49: UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xfc' in position 7: ordinal not in range(128)

If I can supply any other information, just let me know. It looks like I’ll be here all weekend because of this…

Dave

We had the same, roll back the lightning.dlx plugins.

Im sure Ryan will be posting something soon

We went straight from Beta 8 to Beta 10, but I had a couple of slaves here that hadn’t been updated to beta 10 yet (so they still had the beta 8 lightning.dlx) and they are having exactly the same problems.

Dave

Yes because the lightning dlx files are independent of the slave version, they are sourced directly from the repository. We had the exact same issue, at first i thought it was a database corruption.

Make sure to overwrite the lightning dlx files in the plugins/3dsmax folder with the old build’s files, and it should restore functionality. You might need to reboot the farm machines though, max is deadlocked with the deadline slave

In some cases it was enough to process kill the 3dsmax.exe from task manager (once the old lighting dlx was restored)

Here are the updated Lightning files for 64 bit max (if you’re still using 32 bit, let us know and we can upload them as well).

Just unzip the attached file to \your\repository\plugins\3dsmax.

This should fix the problems with 3dsmax rendering that beta 10 introduced.
lightning.zip (1.76 MB)

Thanks Ryan, I’m testing it now.

A number of the slaves have been erroring out with this:

Error in StartJob: ExecuteScript: Timed out waiting for the lightning 3dsmax plugin to acknowledge the ExecuteScript command.

But it looks like everything is rendering again! Thanks for the quick help, you’ve saved my weekend :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers,

Dave

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences