AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Memory Usage - DeadLine CommandLine

Hey there!
It’s my first post over here, I’ve been looking forward to know more about how this kind of rendering works, and I’ve been having some issues here at work, the users are sending renders with maximum of memory that the render farms have and because of that We’re having issues with memory RAM usage, the machines are starting to get Blue Screen and some other problems.
Someone knows how to limit the maximum usage of memory RAM of the renders with Deadline Slave and CommandLine?
I’m Using Deadline over a Windows 10 Operational System.

Hey @ernandesjr,

I dont think Deadline has a feature to limit maximum RAM usage on the workers, mainly because the the render process runs outside of deadline and just reports back the progress on stdout.

What renderer are you using? If the render application provides a command line flag that can limit the memory usage, you could modify the plugin files in Deadline to start the renderer with those specific flags.

Regards,
Kavi

Hey @kavi!
I’m using Cinema4d for my editing, then sending the render to deadline slave and sometimes I use also octane Render, but in the octane, I already limit the amount of memory usage per node.
Anyway, still limiting on Octane CommandLine, I’m still getting 100% of memory usage.
Do you guys have any plugin or any tool to limit this amount of memory?

Unfortunately, there is no built in plugin or tool in Deadline that can do this. Do you know which application/process is using up your memory and causing the node to crash? Is the Worker node running on Windows?

I am not sure if we can limit memory for a process on windows.
If on linux you could use cgroups and limit memory usage. Otherwise you could try to write an event plugin on OnSlaveInfoUpdatedCallback and track your memory usage.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences