AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Octane Studio 3.08 + Deadline 10.0.21.5 + Windows 10 (Error 100)

Hi All,

I’m trying to get Octane working, I’m running Cinema4D R20 on Windows 10.

There is no option to export Octane through C4D, I’m exporting OCS and ORBX and trying to render but getting the following issue

Error: Renderer returned non-zero error code, 100. Check the log for more information.

(Love the new colours in the log btw)

The error doesn’t report anything but I do get an on screen pop up which shows this…

There was an error parsing the command-line arguments:
Couldn't find match for argument Argument: Target --stop-after-script -t Preview

Is this error to do with changed code? and is that a version thing? I’ve using the ‘Studio’ version rather than the other version, bit confusing how Otoy do things

Thanks
Ant

I upraded Octane to 4.00 RC7, still getting same issue

If I edit the job properties and change the ‘Octane Settings’ Render Target from ‘Preview Render Target’ to ‘Render Target’ option I then get the same deadline 100 error but this Octane pop up error:-

Couldn’t find match for argument Argument: target C:\Users\user\Desktop\o4.ocs

Deadline log submission line…

INFO: Full Command: "C:\Program Files\OTOY\OctaneRender Studio 4.00 RC7\octane.exe" -q --script "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline10\slave\darblay\plugins\5bdb27e99f196a361c65223d\DeadlineOctane.lua" -a "%F.%e" -a "C:\Users\user\Desktop\" -a "png8" -a 0 -a 0 -a "Preview Render Target" --stop-after-script -t "Preview Render Target" "C:\Users\user\Desktop\o4.ocs"
2018-11-01 16:22:39:  0: INFO: Startup Directory: "C:\Program Files\OTOY\OctaneRender Studio 4.00 RC7"

It sounds like Octane changed their command line arguments or we’re not building the arguments correctly.

It’s a bit hard to read back from the code here. Would you be able to post the “Full Command:” line from the log here and I’ll try and figure out if I can triage it temporarily and pass it on to the dev team? I see you did in the second response. :smiley:

Update: So, after reading the full command, that looks fine to me. If you run that from the command line does it fail the same way? I wonder if they implemented a custom argument parser that uses a different style of quote or something similar.

I get the same pop-up error if I run the command through command prompt

There was an error parsing the command-line arguments:
Couldn't find match for argument Argument: Target --stop-after-script -t Preview

It looks like it’s not reading in the quoted items and sees it as “Preview” instead of “Preview Render Target”

Would help if I knew what I was doing with Octane, all other renders seem a lot more straightforward!

Will there be a built in submission for the DR type option? I think @bonsak made a script here

Not sure if this will work in Deadline 10 as the link is no longer available.

Also worth noting it doesn’t exist in the ‘Studio / Subscription / VR / whatevertheycallit’ version (https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/subscriptions/)

It might be that I’m just not setting the settings properly

I tried submitting a simple command line and it worked, I then opened the .ocs and changed the rendernode to ‘OUT’ and set the Deadline option ‘Render Target’ to OUT, and it works for both
“C:\Program Files\OTOY\OctaneRender Studio 4.00 RC7\octane.exe” “C:\Users\user\Desktop\expo.orbx” -t “OUT”

I’ll try doing an export from Cinema4D R20 again and setting the output option, not sure if it is having an issue with the space in the name or it’s not getting set.

Ideally I’d like it to be as step free as possible, direct export from C4D. If it’s going to be export then open Octane before Deadline it’s a bit of a faff.

Thanks
Ant

Yeah, we’d want this to “just work” in as many scenarios as possible.

The pop-up is especially odd outside of Deadline… The only interesting wrinkle at the moment is one of the paths:

-a "C:\Users\user\Desktop\"

I wonder if Octane is interpreting that as an escape quote. Can you run the original command line run and remove that slash at the end? If that helps we can carve off the slash for users and life’ll be good.

1 Like

That worked!! Thanks Edwin

now the next problem, working out why Octane is still not working, C4D export doesn’t seem to pass on the output filename, it also doesn’t set the camera size so unless I specify these settings (by opening Octane Standalone) I get a 4x4 output.

I’m so glad ChaosGroup bought V-Ray4Cinema4D back, between this Arnold and Redshift there are plenty of easier options to export standalone scenes!

I tried to find the code but with no luck. We switched to Redshift soon after the experiments with the spawner script so thats probably why i cant find it anymore :slight_smile:

-b

1 Like

Seems everyone is fleeing from Octane to go with the faster Redshift, I just have some clients who are still going to need Octane (before they migrate to RS).

I’ve been told Facebook is the best way to communicate with Otoy!

Thanks for looking anyhow

1 Like

These anecdotes don’t contribute to solving the problem. Let’s stick to discussing technical problems.

This slash problem is fairly trivial to fix, but I wonder if it makes sense to pass that to Otoy. If they don’t fix it we can implement a workaround on our end.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences