AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Official Houdini Solaris Husk submitter

Any news about Karma UBL licenses?

Nothing I can say, we’re not able to share details about the roadmap.

Just posting here to say I haven’t forgotten about this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same here, waiting for some official implementation to use Karma without consuming Houdini FX licenses.

@mois.moshev I installed the husk standalone plugin, but when I try to run it in Houdini, there are issues setting the values for the USD export and they all end up being 0, any idea why this might be/ has anyone else run into this issue? It also makes the submit button and pipeline tools buttons useless, nothing happens when you click them. (This is from the Render tab → submit to Deadline, because the USD tab isn’t showing up in my Rop node)

We don’t really use the submission dialog, only the Deadline ROP, so this part needs some development I guess. Same with the pipeline tools.

Oh I see, the USD changes are only showing up for me in the top menu, not the deadline ROP. I put the python files in the REPOSITORY\DeadlineRepository10\submission\Houdini\Main folder and it created the USD tab in the submit to deadline but not in the ROP node, is there somewhere else I should put the files to have it affect the node itself?

Oh right, I have to share the rop definition, too.
The previous error sounds like you have a very old deadline rop definition, at least install one from an up to date repository.

Is that the SubmitDeadlineRop.py file from the zip you posted here Official Houdini Solaris Husk submitter - #56 by mois.moshev? Or am I missing another file that will make the Deadline Rop work?

No, I mean the hda. I’ll upload it in the coming days.

Does the submitter work with Python 3.9 or has it only been tested on 3.7?

Good to know. I must say that I’ve been using (for more than 1yr) other cloud solutions just because AWS doesn’t have Karma Licenses for rent. The standalone submitter isn’t a big deal, because with Karma licenses (for rent) on the cloud we can use other methods for submitting.

It does work also on Python 3.10.

Any update on the new hda?

2 Likes

Would really like to help test this out!

Ugh this is huge post and most of this falls outside of my scope. I jumped in looking for solution submitting Solaris karma task as well, especially having issues speed wise, rendering in GUI is faster but once submitting to deadline (i use fetch in out and deadline node to submit) speed is 2-3 time slower as it wastes time loading scenes over and over again per frame/s).

I assume that official husk submitter would help with that as well?
I will try going over full length of this again but having everything pinned in message would help a lot. Even more would help official deadline husk submitter :wink:

Just to check I guess I should start here:

1 Like

Here is a new version of the solaris submitter. I included the hda. You need to point your load path to it.
I hope I ripped everything out that has our internal dependencies.
Let me know if it works.
HoudiniSolarisSubmitter.targz (54.3 KB)

3 Likes

Hi Mois and everyone else who has contributed,
Thanks for putting all of this together. It’s a HUGE help.
Is it possible to provide a very simple sample scene (sphere, light, etc), illustrating the proper settings for the usdrender rop(stage) and how to pipe that into the deadline rop?
Thanks,
-Jake

Yes I’ll put together something. Basically you need to connect a USD ROP or a USD Render ROP to Deadline. There are options in the Deadline ROP to add a USD export job.
If you do this, you must disable the command execution (I need to look it up) in USD Render. Otherwise the export job will also render.

FYI you’ll be better off putting these into the appropriate folders within the “custom” folder in the Repository directory, just so changes are not wiped on re-installs or updates.
Your all zeros issue is from the “SubmitHoudiniToDeadline.ui” file, there’s a line missing that handles usdloglevel. This missing causes it to fail on creation which nukes the rest of the script.
I’ve addressed this and other changes here: Official Houdini Solaris Husk submitter - #70 by PostMotion
Sounds like mois.moshev will post new files with these updates though?

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences