AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Remote desktop connection - controlling machines

Hi, been using RDC for 2 years and works very well, but I wondered is there a way to allow machines to be controlled in the “remote” location, so the side without the repo - ie turning machines on/off, or remote desktop, restart salves etc. When I try it doesnt work as its like its trying to find the machines at the repo end. Works fine repo end with machines on that network.

Can I have Pulse running this end or something, I have no idea!

Thanks,
Mark

Hi, can I get some support on this issue please?

Hello!

So if I understand you correctly, when you’re on the machine the repository is installed on you’re able to use the Remote Command commands without issue. But when you’re on any other machine, Remote Command commands don’t work at all, and you get some error about it not being able to find the machine?

Could you let us know which version of Deadline you’re running, and could you share the whole error message you’re seeing? There isn’t anything obvious jumping out at me, but those details should help.

Hi,

So all the machines inc the serevr with Repo on are in the main office and can RDC to each other. The issue I have is when I try to RDC from our second office thats using the RCS to work as a single repo/farm.

Mark

Gotcha - can the machines in the second office send RDC commands to each other?

Also, which version of Deadline are you running? You can see that by right clicking on the launcher icon and choosing ‘About Deadline Launcher [Version Number]’.

Hi, sorry time difference!

So we’re on 10.1.0.10. And yes I can RDC within the second office. So RDC is fine both ends, its just getting them to work to each other.

I just tried again and the error from RDC is saying it cant find the computer, doesnot belong to the network. I guess is makes sense as both sites are different networks. I just wondered if Deadline and provide a feature to get round this. Would save having to use TeamViewer etc, can just shortcut from the worker list.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Justin, did you have any thoughts on the above? Even if its a “cant be done” just be good to know.

I could have sworn I sent this! There isn’t anything baked in that can help you out in this case I’m afraid to say. Sorry about the long wait for nothing.

1 Like

Hi. Ok good to know I’m not missing something. Maybe a feature for the future?

Some insight from a person on the IT side of things:
Do both sites have different DNS servers? If so, I believe that’s your issue right there.

For example I can connect cross site to a repo on the west coast through an IPsec tunnel.
I cant send remote commands to machines since deadline is generally tied to the local networks/domain DNS. Ie if I try to send a remote command to “render48” for eg, my local DNS doesnt have any entries on the other side of the tunnel for that machine, so deadline fails sending the command at the point where it tries to do a dns lookup to reverse the hostname into an IP address.
If both sites however are on the same DNS, i would think this should work though.
I suppose you could also try manual DNS entries? For machines not on the local side of the network.

1 Like

My thought is that the Remote Connection Server (RCS) isn’t going to be able to pass along the Remote Desktop Connection connection. It’s able to pass along the simpler text commands (restart worker/stop worker/etc) but clearly RDC is outside of its capability.

As for it being a feature for the future I can’t say, but I’ll make a note!

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences