AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Repository installation error

Hi I’m new with Dedline.

It gives an error when installing Repository. Accidently I made no screenshots

Installation is very complex and installation documentation as either. Maybe a step-by-step guide would be better?

This should be simple, the guide is very thorough, I’m sure if you try again and get screen grabs someone will be able to help

1 Like

I tried again but the error messege won’t be captured (Why?).

It says that it cannot access a specific folder. Folder directory contains name of computer in non-latin letters. Maybe that’s why it gives an error?

AWS Portal does add complexity at the moment. Are you making use of that yet? We made some videos quite some time ago before the TLS certificates or AWS Portal where a thing so they’re somewhat out of date.

Can you let us know where you got stuck? In general, the default options are good and if you trust the network Deadline is running on, you can choose to enable or disable the TLS certificate generation which would encrypt the traffic between the different Deadline applications and the Database.

I’ll talk to the team here about creating some updated simple install videos. That should help. We have AWS Portal usage videos but that assumes the base is already there.

Thanks for quick reply.

I’m new and don’t know what is Sertificate generation and AWS Portal. CG artists on forums just said that Deadline is an awesome program and I should use it for my purpose.
First I was stunned by 3 installation files. Which to install first?
Second some of these installation programs install additional programs like Mongo DB. What is it for? I’m new with Deadline.

An error that appears when installing Repository I described above. I think it cannot be installed properly cos computer’s name and specific folder contain non-latin letters. Am I right?

Hmm. The non-latin characters can be a problem, but please provide a screenshot of the error here so I can have some context? Without it I’m pretty lost too. :slight_smile:

The install process is really three parts:

1. Install the DB/Repo
  2. Install the client applications on all machines that will run Deadline
  3. Install integrated submitters

It seems complicated from the documentation because we repeat the information across each of the three operating systems. Don’t worry about the certificate installer unless the documentation specifically calls it out.

Hi. I’ve made a screenshot.

You were right about the name being the issue, I’m sure there is a workaround to it but the easiest solution would be to rename the server ПК-ПК (or give it an alias)

1 Like

Agreed. You can also try disabling the certificate generation during the installation, but I’m not sure what other problems will come up from there.

I’ve cut a developer ticket here as well. I’m not sure if/when they’ll be able to fix this one, so setting an alias or renaming the machine would be a good plan. If you only have a few machines using the ‘hosts’ file may be a good bet.

Thanks for replies. I’ve changed my computer name and it installs properly.
Now having Deadline installed it gives another error when opening Deadline Launcher
I’m not sure cos I’m not programmer but do I need to update third party software like DirectX Microsoft visual C++ Java or something like that?

It’s a similar problem, and one we had quite recently:

Can you try the advice in that thread and report on how it went on that other thread? It will make that thread even better if we discuss that problem there.

For what it’s worth, I linked both issues together earlier today.

1 Like

Still not running.

People on forums sayd that reinstalling Windows can help cos by default Windows puts non-latin characters according to the region settings. Since Deadline is the only one program that doesn’t work because of that I’m looking for opportunity to avoid reinstallation. Maybe manual renaming folders or other data. Please let me know whitch settings can be important for Deadline like User name Computer name for me to check that options.

What to do with this?

No, I don’t think re-installing the OS is worthwhile here. Try re-installing and choose to install a new database. This time, use only the IP address for the host name for the DB connection and disable the certificate installation and see if it completes properly.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences