AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Using weather conditions to schedule workers to run?

Hi

I have PV panels and a project which does not have a deadline so I was wondering if I could use the weather condition (sunny) to trigger my workers to render?

Regards Rueben

Fantastic idea! What about leveraging the temperature sensing function of Deadline? When it gets dark, stop renders:
https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/10.2/1_User%20Manual/manual/power-management.html?highlight=ipmi#thermal-shutdown

Hi

I’d need to somehow translate light levels to a temperature reading…seems complicated for my skill level, but thank you for the suggestion :slight_smile:

I was hoping for more along the lines of a smart home interface.

When sunny in (location) between the hours of 9am-3pm run worker for 6 hours.

Never mind

Regards Rueben

If you’re looking for a low-tech (or at least low-Deadline-tech) solution, how about using a general scheduler to start/stop the worker process on whatever OS you’re on?

If built-ins aren’t cutting it for your scenario, I’m sure there are some off the shelf tools available somewhere where you can query some www resources like a weather service. I don’t happen to know of one, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t exist.

Like a standalone Zapier type thing.

Just a wild shot in the dark. LDRs are photosensitive and are used in home-automation systems. You will need to integrate the LDR with a processor (like Arduino) and get a signal our of LDR (0 or 1). Then to wake the machine up harness Deadline’s temperature sensing as Edwin mentioned.

This might not be possible at all, but just sending a guess.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences