AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Wait and Resume Tasks from ManagedProcess

Hello there!
I am beginner in pipeline development for Houdini + Deadline 10 and basically I would like to know the best way to pause tasks on license error, make them wait until a certain criteria is met and then resume them (via python ManagedProcess).

At the moment, I have a custom Houdini Deadline plugin as ManagedProcess from which I can catch license errors via StdoutHandlerCallback in python. However I don’t know how to suspend the specific tasks which are raising that license error and schedule those tasks for later. We don’t want to suspend and re-schedule the entire job, because there could be other tasks that are rendering properly. Is it possible to achieve this behaviour per task?

I am reaching the point that it might be needed a secondary script running as a deamon querying the number of Houdini available licenses and suspending/resuming houdini tasks if possible, but I was wondering if we could avoid this approach.

Thank you in advance!

Carlos

Which licenses are you using? It’s a bit of a moving target like that so there’s no easy way to do this.

If you’re just using Engine licenses then use a ‘limits’ feature to make sure any jobs running on any nodes only use the licenses available.

https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/10.1/1_User%20Manual/manual/limits.html

If you’re trying to be smart and use the full licenses while they’re not in use you’ll likely end up annoying artists as they can’t get a license.

2 Likes

Yes, we are using Engine licenses.
Limits seem like the better option, thanks for the feedback!

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences