AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Save issuses

We are having another problem. When a project is rendering it will on random chunks not be able to save the image. It will say that it exsits.

Failed to save image \\Cgmaster\Master Current Jobs\CURRENT_JOBS\12335_JCP_EVEN\Image_Sequences\SHOT_01\JCP_BOXES_LOGOFORM_VERSONE0020.rpf: The file exists.

at Deadline.Plugins.PluginLoader.RenderTasks(Int32 startTask, Int32 endTask)
at Deadline.Plugins.Plugin.RenderTask(Int32 startFrame, Int32 endFrame)
at Deadline.Slaves.SlaveRenderThread.RenderCurrentTask()

The file didnt exsist. The only way to fix it is go in and delete the file after it tried it for the first time. Then it gets going. But i cant find a reason of this issue.

If someone knows what is up let me know. Or if you need more info.

Hi Chad,

Are you by any chance saving your output to a server running Samba? We run into this problem occassionally here when saving to our Samba servers, and it often requires our sys admins to manually delete the file. We’re not 100% sure if the problem is Samba related or not, so let us know if this might be the case for you.

Cheers,

Ryan Russell

Frantic Films Software

http://software.franticfilms.com/

(204)949-0070

We are running a regular Windows server. I am not fully sure if its different from a true Samba server or not. I know they are a like.  Windows XP.

We’ve slightly modified how the rendered images for 3dsmax will be saved out for the next release.

In the past, we’ve saved the image locally on the slave in a temp location, removed the file from the final destination (if it exists), and then moved the temp image to the final location. It is possible that if the deletion failed, the move would also fail because you can’t move a file if the destination already exists.

Now, instead of moving the temp image, we copy it over the destination image and then delete the local temp image. As long as the destination file isn’t locked by another process, the images should save properly.

We’re not sure what would cause the image file to appear in its final destination and be locked BEFORE the image is actually saved. Hopefully this will end up solving your saving problems.

Cheers,

Ryan Russell

Frantic Films Software

http://software.franticfilms.com/

(204)949-0070

Here’s an idea that might be nice for redundancy.

What if there was a switch that would allow multiple outputs for a job. If the user ever found themselves in a situation where they needed to make extra sure that they got all of their frames, they could ask deadline to copy the output frames to 2 different locations. (this would be configured in the monitor only) That way if one file failed to save it would probably succeed in the backup location.

Or one better… Have the slaves store frames that it is unable to copy.

“File copy failed, task saved in c:\deadline\temp” And the user could retrieve those frames once they solve the issue with their file server.

Sorry If I’m just making things extra complicated.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences