AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Rendering one frame with Multiple machines

I am using Maya with Deadline and was wondering if there is a way to configure my render (upon submission to deadline) to have multiple machines render one frame…such that each machine and/or processor is only working on a fraction of a single image. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At the bottom of the Maya submission dialog (when you’re submitting from within Maya), there is an option to use Tile Rendering. This splits up the frame into individual regions to be rendered by different machines. Depending on the format of the image, Deadline can even assemble the image automatically in the end. If the format you’re using isn’t supported, you could always combine the regions manually in Photoshop or something.

Thanks rrussel. Much appreciated.

Well, I’ve looked through the documentation but cannot find the supported image formats for which Deadline will automatically assemble an image that was rendered via a tile rendering. How does that work and where can I find the documentation to get some more info on the features of tile rendering?

R

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the supported formats are bmp, exr, jpg, png, tga, and tif.

When you submit a tile render, you’re specifying the number of tiles in the vertical (x) and horizontal (y) direction. This will indicate the number of jobs that are submitted to Deadline (x * y). The reason for each tile being a separate job is that this allows you to submit a range of frames in the same way. After each job completes, a post job task is performed that tries to assemble the final image using TileAssembler.exe in the Deadline bin directory. Of course, this will only actually succeed after the final tile has finished rendering. The output from calling TileAssembler will be saved with the slave log, so if it’s not working, you can check the log of the job that finished last to see what happened during the assembly.

You can also call TileAssembler from the command line manually. I believe if you run it without any command line arguments, it should print out the usage instructions.

Hope this helps!

• Ryan
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences