AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

weirdest question I have asked here

Awesome!

-b

much cooler than this

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KIo9TQgsJUtToAcO37w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWc0dGJtBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMQ–?p=cracked+the+warp+core+dilithium+crystals&vid=f0cc5d0007fb569bc36965b3c9005367&l=00%3A55&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVN.608012918234940343%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D76sQqrKmsK0&tit=Star+Trek+Engineering+Playset+Demo&c=0&sigr=11av2df20&sigt=1126pqjem&sigi=11r5hnr3o&age%5B0%5D=1242549998&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av%2Cm%3Asa&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&tt=b

I dunno, that thing is pretty cool!

Ok, this part took 9 days to print. I may have gone a bit overboard making the layers too thin. It took entirely too long to print.

The panel for all the power and usb is printing now.
Things should start to print faster as this was one of the biggest parts.

nice! what did you print out of?

The material is PLA.
The printer is an ultimaker 2 and I modeled it in max.

Rather than continuing to post in Thinkbox’s forum with this topic, which is clearly outside what this forum is for I made this horrible blog where i will post pics and make updates if your interested.
I am going to be looking for people that can help me with the, what seems to me, daunting task of the python coding. If your interested in assisting please check out the blog and email me.

I didn’t get much printing done this week as i drove to Kennedy space center 2 times trying to watch the space x launch and landing attempt. Progress should pick back up now.

troywuelfing.blogspot.com/

Here is the Deadline/Python code for your Warp Core. You will need to put the deadline stand-alone api in your python lib site-packages.
WarpCoreCode.zip (592 Bytes)

Awesome!
I will check this out and integrate it into the project! I will for sure make sure you are called out for the assist, all the coding for this intimidates me, but i am sure i will sort it out when the time comes.

I am making slow but steady progress on the mechanical bits. Each part is requiring a reprint and design modification before its working perfectly. I suspect this is what i get for designing it in 3ds max rather than a CAD program.

here are photos of the current status.
as of today i am 1 day into a 6 day print for the 2nd cap.

I am still looking for someone that can assist with the raspberry pi coding. I have a raspberry pi 2, which i have just learned is lacking the libraries necessary to drive the neo pixles i am using to light this thing up. I may have to order another raspberry pi as i gave my original away when the version 2 arrived… doh.

just a quick update here for anyone interested,

we have the code that was provided, which pulls the utilization from the farm in real time, working with our LED matrix through the raspberry pi.
what this means is that all the obstacles are now overcome, everything is testing and working I just need to get it all printed, painted and assembled then finish the coding to add all the LEDs rather than the one strip we have now.

It turns out that it is very easy to get a raspberry pi, some neopixles and make functional art that informs users about the condition of the render farm.
in our case it will be a star trek warp core that is nearly 4 feet tall… ha! i love it because its super absurd, but very awesome.

soon i will have more interesting updates on the blog.

Looking forward to seeing the finished warp core!

OK,
we have the warp core project pulling data from the farm using the deadline web service and using that data to set the “warp factor” of the warp core LEDs.

you can read some about the project and watch some videos of it working here: troywuelfing.blogspot.com/

update:
here is a link right to the video so you can avoid the blog.
youtube.com/watch?v=wJ0Aay9oBrA

I wanted to share a brief update for the warp core.
a good overview video of it running can be found here: youtu.be/6zjf1Rlh5is

The code is in a “version 1” state, with lots of ideas for further improvements.
the touchscreen on the back has yet to be integrated, but is designed and awaiting print time on my printer.
It does pull data from the farm to set the speed of the lights!

You can download the (very messy) max files, source code for the Pi, and Bill of Materials for most of the parts you need.
I am still working on documentation, but thought perhaps this forum would like to see it all together and working.

here it is on thingiverse: thingiverse.com/thing:914928
here is my youtube channel about it: youtube.com/channel/UCy4Bl9 … BimvgBV9MA
Here is my blog with a live video feed: troywuelfing.blogspot.com/

thoughts and suggestions always welcome,
if you like it, leave a note on the thingiverse page, perhaps it will help me win the contest they are holding for LED based 3d printed projects.

If anyone wants to try to make one of these for themselves I am happy to share all I have learned.

Hello Troy,

Wow, that looks awesome. Mind if we share this awesome creation via our twitter accounts? Is there a post we can link to?

Only thought suggestion I had while watching was: are you simply triggering each LED sequentially after a specific pause? Because I would add a delay as it jumps the ‘gap’ so that the light appears to move at a constant speed and only lights the core for instance in the time it would take for a constant velocity object to reach the core from the edge. It looks like it’s just skipping to the next LED ring regardless of the distance between each ring.

I believe the code is written with a delay, however all the rings are equidistant except the ones in the dilithium chamber (the middle) there are a lot of settings in the code, which you can download here:
thingiverse.com/thing:914928

This would be the same link that can be shared on whatever social media and what not.
This entire project is open source. I am happy to help others make copies of this.
It’s not a perfect design and the max files are sloppy, but it works.

There is also info on my blog at troywuelfing.blogspot.com

Thanks for the kind words. I still have a lot to do on this project. The touchscreen panel is up next on the print list.
Then it’s painting so the light doesn’t bleed through the parts that should be opaque.
Next big modification will be to try to figure out how to get a working lcars interface to run on the screen on the back.

just want to say that this is the most awesome thread out here so far!

Hadn’t seen it before and am loving this project!

OK, its been forever since I made an update here.
Short story, I lost my job and have been unemployed since the early fall. Looking for work and building this warp core have kept me busy.

On to the good stuff.
here is a video going through some of the function I have for now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VM0uKbD648&feature=youtu.be

I have hardware in place for motion sensors, internal and external temp sensors and a microphone, but no code for this yet.

I have a blog about some of the project here.
troywuelfing.blogspot.com

the files are here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:914928

there are tons of videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnLzAvwDO5eO–AcSJsRWSA2oRhkfC0Nq

I also still need to learn enough to code the UI for the touchscreen.
I would love suggestions, criticisms, comments or whatever you think about this project.

oh yea, and it DOES get deadline data through the web services to control the warp factors.
if you code python or love raspberry pi stuff and want to help let me know i could use some assistance getting all the code working.

I hope you are as nerdy as me and enjoy this.

Love the new video, and still super geeked out about the whole project. Happy to see it coming along so well.

Super cool project.
Is the code for this available anywhere?

Cheers, Florian

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences