AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

weirdest question I have asked here

OK so here goes…
i know this isnt the perfect place to post this, but this community is great and I know someone smart will have ideas to help me.

utilization.JPG

do I have access to this value via scripting?

Here is what we are doing, and I know its silly and crazy, but we like to do fun things here.
I have 3d printed a scale replica of the star trek warp core from the next generation and use a raspberry pi to drive a few hundred LEDs which allow it to look like its working just like the TV show.
now for the fun part, I can control the speed just like in the show.

I want to pass that utilization value to my raspberry pi to set the speed of the warp core so as the farm is busier the warp core speeds up… yes i know, we are super nerds over here.
can i install deadline on a raspberry pi?
do i have access to the utilization value via python scripting?

it is basically just like this thing:
warp core.JPG

the LEDs are animated like this
youtube.com/watch?v=LNSZhRTdelc

Oh man! This sounds fantastic! I wholeheartedly approve.

We can’t get thatusage as you see it in the Monitor, but we can calculate it ourselves. You can get the CPU usage of all the running Slaves via the stanalone web API, and that can run on the RPi.

Here’s the docs for that:
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … ython.html (for using the API)
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … a095bbe681 (getting SlaveInfo objects)

Then inspect them and do some simple average and you should have the data for your warp core. :slight_smile:

If you need more help, don’t hesitate to ask. This sounds like a fun project.

its going to take a while to finish, printing all these parts its taking weeks.
I will be sure to keep you posted as i muddle my way through this.

Thats fantastic! Please post pictures when you get this up and running.

-b

i will for sure,
i have lots of parts to print still, but since i dont write code and dont know much about electronics I am starting on the raspberry pi part while the excruciatingly slow 3d printing goes.

best guess is 3 weeks for the mechanical part to be complete, i have no idea how long the raspberry pi part is going to take me.

I am going to venture a guess and say that if word of this project spreads, you’ll get offers of help from all over lol

I will get some pics of the parts I already have designed and printed so far when i get home tonight.

I really just wanted a dilithium powered render farm and this is the only way i can think of to do it. :wink:

The mechanical part is super easy, just takes forever to print.
The raspberry pi part doesnt look too hard to setup, but getting the connection to the data from deadline it seems can be done but its going to be a new world for me to figure it out.

Here are the pictures of half the warp coils.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Awesome!

-b

much cooler than this

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KIo9TQgsJUtToAcO37w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWc0dGJtBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMQ–?p=cracked+the+warp+core+dilithium+crystals&vid=f0cc5d0007fb569bc36965b3c9005367&l=00%3A55&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVN.608012918234940343%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D76sQqrKmsK0&tit=Star+Trek+Engineering+Playset+Demo&c=0&sigr=11av2df20&sigt=1126pqjem&sigi=11r5hnr3o&age%5B0%5D=1242549998&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av%2Cm%3Asa&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&tt=b

I dunno, that thing is pretty cool!

Ok, this part took 9 days to print. I may have gone a bit overboard making the layers too thin. It took entirely too long to print.

The panel for all the power and usb is printing now.
Things should start to print faster as this was one of the biggest parts.

nice! what did you print out of?

The material is PLA.
The printer is an ultimaker 2 and I modeled it in max.

Rather than continuing to post in Thinkbox’s forum with this topic, which is clearly outside what this forum is for I made this horrible blog where i will post pics and make updates if your interested.
I am going to be looking for people that can help me with the, what seems to me, daunting task of the python coding. If your interested in assisting please check out the blog and email me.

I didn’t get much printing done this week as i drove to Kennedy space center 2 times trying to watch the space x launch and landing attempt. Progress should pick back up now.

troywuelfing.blogspot.com/

Here is the Deadline/Python code for your Warp Core. You will need to put the deadline stand-alone api in your python lib site-packages.
WarpCoreCode.zip (592 Bytes)

Awesome!
I will check this out and integrate it into the project! I will for sure make sure you are called out for the assist, all the coding for this intimidates me, but i am sure i will sort it out when the time comes.

I am making slow but steady progress on the mechanical bits. Each part is requiring a reprint and design modification before its working perfectly. I suspect this is what i get for designing it in 3ds max rather than a CAD program.

here are photos of the current status.
as of today i am 1 day into a 6 day print for the 2nd cap.

I am still looking for someone that can assist with the raspberry pi coding. I have a raspberry pi 2, which i have just learned is lacking the libraries necessary to drive the neo pixles i am using to light this thing up. I may have to order another raspberry pi as i gave my original away when the version 2 arrived… doh.

just a quick update here for anyone interested,

we have the code that was provided, which pulls the utilization from the farm in real time, working with our LED matrix through the raspberry pi.
what this means is that all the obstacles are now overcome, everything is testing and working I just need to get it all printed, painted and assembled then finish the coding to add all the LEDs rather than the one strip we have now.

It turns out that it is very easy to get a raspberry pi, some neopixles and make functional art that informs users about the condition of the render farm.
in our case it will be a star trek warp core that is nearly 4 feet tall… ha! i love it because its super absurd, but very awesome.

soon i will have more interesting updates on the blog.

Looking forward to seeing the finished warp core!

OK,
we have the warp core project pulling data from the farm using the deadline web service and using that data to set the “warp factor” of the warp core LEDs.

you can read some about the project and watch some videos of it working here: troywuelfing.blogspot.com/

update:
here is a link right to the video so you can avoid the blog.
youtube.com/watch?v=wJ0Aay9oBrA

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences