AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Houdini Hqueue and Distributed Sims

Hi,

I know that previously people have posted about distributed Houdini sims through Deadline and it’s not a feature that’s currently properly supported. I wondered if this was something that was being looked at in the near future at all?

If not then we will continue to use HQueue as it’s much easier to manage for simulations. With this in mind though I have an additional question regarding the way slave scheduling and power management work. In order to use HQueue properly we have to disable the slaves that we want to sim on. This inevitably means that we have wasted time on the slave when the simulation stops before we then re-enable it. We would prefer to be able to prevent the slave starting if a specific process is running (in this case hython.exe). There is the option to do this in slave scheduling but this has no effect on the power management so the slave keeps starting up. Is there a way we can achieve this? Or is this something that’s just not supported?

Thanks

Nick

Hello Nick,

HQueue is actually something we have supported since the Deadline 7 era of the software, as we have explained in our Houdini documentation docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … udini.html

Hi Dwight,

Thanks, I guess we missed that! Granted it’s been a while since we checked to see if it works. We’ll give it a test…

Nick

Hi,

So we’ve done some experimentation but we’re not getting very far. We’ve started out with a non-distributed simulation to at least get the ball rolling. Unfortunately we’re getting an error because the simulation isn’t distributed and the hrender_dl.py script is looking for the control node attribute on the hqueue simulation rop. It’s blank because we’ve got partitioning type set to none… I’ve attached the log file so you can see the error.

Thanks

Nick
Job_2016-08-10_11-58-43_57ab08e393e3470b283e840e.txt (6.61 KB)

Hello,

I’ll be honest, I don’t know that our plugin supports doing non distributed sims in Houdini. Can you email over a test scene so we can test this?

Hi Dwight,

Thanks for the response. We don’t tend to do distributed sims most of the time because we don’t need to, only the larger water sims tend to need it and it’s a bit of a pain to setup. But being able to put everything through Deadline would obviously be much better for us! I’ve attached a basic file with a simulation in for you to test with.

Thanks

Nick
test.zip (38.4 KB)

Hey Nick,

Ok, so confirmed the only sim support we have for houdini is distributed, so I am putting in a feature request on your behalf.

Thanks Dwight, seems a bit like you skipped the easy job and went straight for the hard one there!

Nick

Hi Dwight,

Do you have any information on when this might be implemented please? We’d really like to get away from using HQueue if we can and get it all running through Deadline.

Thanks

Nick

Hello,

Unfortunately I don’t have an update on this, but I will poke the devs and let them know you are waiting on their fix.

Update here. We’ve got a lot of improvements that need to get done, but we’ll discuss how possible this will be in today’s planning meeting.

So, good news if you’re on the 8.1 beta! We’ve got support for None and Cluster types now, so you should be good to go on the next build there.

Hi Dwight,

Is there any update on the progress of this?

Thanks

Nick

The 8.1 release is slated for early January 2017 at this point. The beta has had it available for awhile, and it’s quite solid at this point. We just have a policy of not releasing in December since we’re always at a lower capacity with people on holidays.

Great thanks Edwin! I look forward to testing it out in the new year then.

Nick

Very interesting. Please let us know if it works.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences