AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

What causes jobs to be locked?

I need to re-render all the scenes that were sent to a specific slave. There is a handy context menu option that does this for me: ‘requeue 4 tasks by slave53’ however it keeps telling me that the job is locked by another process. Super user mode also tells me the job is locked. Any way around this?

A few things can cause a job to be locked:

1. A slave, which was accessing the job, has crashed and still has an open handle on a job file.

2. A windows explorer is currently showing the contents of the job foler.

A simple way of fixing the problem is opening up the control panel on the repository machine, select Administrative Tools, then select Computer Management.

In the tree view on the left, select Shared Folders, then Open Files. You’ll probably notice some paths that start with:

\your\repository\jobs<JOB_ID>…

Where <JOB_ID> will look similar to 000_050_x_ABCD1234. If you look at the Job Id column in the monitor for the locked job, you will see something similar. Find any files in the Open Files in Computer Management correlating to this locked job, right-click on them, and close the file.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
  • Ryan

We have looked through the Computer management tool as you suggested, unfortunately the list is empty (It can be refreshed to see what files get opened, but they dont stay up for long)

I have tried to requeue random frames from previously completed jobs and they all say that they are locked =(

One of the slaves is down, but it has not been part of the farm for a few days.

Are you using Deadline 2.0 or 2.5? I know 2.0 had some issues with jobs being locked, especially if they were in the active state.

When you try to requeue the tasks, is the job active or suspended? If active, try suspending the job first to see if that helps. I know this isn’t ideal, but I’m just trying to narrow down the problem.

Finally, if all else fails, you can right click on the tasks you want to requeue and submit them as a new job. Again, this is far from ideal, but at least it’s a workaround until we can figure out what the problem is.

Cheers,

• Ryan

Are you using Deadline 2.0 or 2.5? I know 2.0 had some issues with jobs being locked, especially if they were in the active state.

Deadline 2.5

When you try to requeue the tasks, is the job active or suspended? If active, try suspending the job first to see if that helps. I know this isn’t ideal, but I’m just trying to narrow down the problem.

The job is active. Trying to suspend the job gives me the ‘this job is locked’ dialog as well.

Deleting the job gives the same warning, but upon the next refresh, the job is off of the list.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences