AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Service issues

Hello,

I have been running our slaves successfully as a service for sometime now, however I am now being forced to change the account used for the service.
The 2 accounts have the same permissions locally and on network, however I can run my old account and deadline communicates with the slave, but when I switch user log in on the service to the new account the service starts but monitor never sees the slave.

I’ve checked network permissions, local permissions, firewall, uninstalled and reinstalled deadline as the new account user.

Any insight to what I might be missing would be very appreciated.

My quick guess is that perhaps there are some passwords for network shares that were set up for user1, but that user2 does not have set up yet.

Could you send along the Slave log? I’m assuming Windows here, so you can find that in “C:\ProgramData\Thinkbox\DeadlineX\Logs”. The newest logs should show why the Slave is not connecting.

Hmm. The launcher seems to be shutting down immediately which strikes me as odd. Do any of the logs in that folder start with “deadlineslave”?

Hmm. It’s weird that the Slave launcher is just exiting. How are you starting the Launcher for the bad account versus the good one? Is this running as a service, as a log on script, etc?

This might be worth giving us a call. I’ve got a busy morning today, but it looks like I’m available starting at around 1:00pm if you’d like to give me a call.

So, just an update here on what we tested for the next set of folks (turns out it was a bit tricky):

1. Is the Slave running? No
  2. Is the Launcher running? Yes
  3. Can the Slave run on its own? Yes
  4. Is the Launcher allowed to start the Slave? Yes, but only in the per-user override.

The long-existing user had an override to start the Slave while no other user on the system did. That’s what made this hard to figure out. After enabling the ‘LaunchSlaveAtStartup’ in the global deadline.ini file, things worked as expected.

More details can be found here:
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … onfig.html

Hey Edwin,

Got another one, and it’s probably something stupid I’m doing.

We’ve switched from Deadline 7 to 9.
I have nodes where the slave runs as a service but errors on any render I send to it. When I disable the service and run the slave locally I get successful renders. To add to the confusion the local deadline slave is running under my normal account and it has to run under a special service account when run as a service, however, the service account worked for deadline 7 and on other nodes.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences