AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline 3.0 + AE CS3 = not finding files/directory

I just upgraded to Deadline 3.0 and am trying to get it running as a service, rendering some After Effects CS3 stuff on the render farm. However, none of my renders are working and AE produces errors like “\Oven\render\temp does not exist” (i.e. it can’t see the output directory).

I suspect this is a permissions/access rights problem, so I’ll briefly describe the networking situation. It’s a Windows 2003 domain and there are three render computers (“render05”, “render06”, “render07”), a file server (“oven”), and a workstation (“octavo”) involved here. All of these, plus the domain controller (“chef”), are connected to the same switch. On each of the render computers, the Deadline service is set up so that it logs on under “render”, a domain user account that has full access to the respective input/output folders, i.e. if I log in to any of the render computers as “render”, I can browse to all the necessary folders and open/change/delete files without any problems.

So basically, “render” should have the permissions to do what needs to be done, and the Deadline service is logging in as “render” in order to open AE, but AE is coming back with errors about folders not existing, even though they do.

Any ideas what’s going wrong and how I can fix it?

One thing to try is reinstalling the Deadline Client in non-service mode to see if you still have problems. This sounds like a permission issue due to the fact that Deadline is running as a service. If you can determine that it works fine in non-service mode, than at least you rule out any other possibilities.

Cheers,

• Ryan

That’s a good idea. I’ll try that and report back.

Thanks!

Hi again, sorry for the delay in responding!

So, I installed Deadline 3.0 in non-service mode on six machines in the farm and they all work fine. It’s only when I try to install it as a service that I get errors.

Any other suggestions as to what the problem could be, or what I could try to correct it?

Hmm, not sure what else you could try. It’s obviously a permission issue that is preventing the service account from accessing the network files. Maybe start by setting the permissions on the network path so that Everyone has full read/write access. Probably not the ideal setup, but it would be interesting to know if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

• Ryan
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences