AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

3dsmax tile render + render elements

DL 3.0 is failing on the tile assembly. any ideas? Any handy utilities exist before I make my own?

0: INFO: Executing script: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Frantic Films\Deadline\slave\jobsData\maxTileAssemblerCommand.ms
0: INFO: >Using 64 bit Tile Assembler
0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for [\anatomical\user\shared\Ben_inbox\tempRender\dl3\dl3_re_tile_1x1_4x4.jpg]…
0: INFO: >Tile Assembler Returned 1
0: INFO: >Processing Render Elements Tiles
0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for Render Element [\anatomical\user\shared\Ben_inbox\tempRender\dl3\Diffuse_Diffuse\dl3_re_Diffuse__tile_1x1_4x4.jpg]…
0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for Render Element [\anatomical\user\shared\Ben_inbox\tempRender\dl3\Alpha_alpha\dl3_re_Alpha__tile_1x1_4x4.jpg]…
Scheduler Thread - notification targets…
Scheduler Thread - Ben

Just tested this out here and it worked fine:

0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for [C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\renderoutput\re_tile_test_tile_2x2_2x2_.jpg]…
0: INFO: >Tile Assembler Returned 0
0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for Render Element [C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\renderoutput\Diffuse_Diffuse\re_tile_test_Diffuse__tile_2x2_2x2_.jpg]…
0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for Render Element [C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\renderoutput\Alpha_alpha\re_tile_test_Alpha__tile_2x2_2x2_.jpg]…

Of course, this was the last job. The other 3 tile jobs failed with this message because not all the tiles existed yet:

0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for [C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\renderoutput\re_tile_test_tile_1x2_2x2_.jpg]…
0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for Render Element [C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\renderoutput\Diffuse_Diffuse\re_tile_test_Diffuse__tile_1x2_2x2_.jpg]…
0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for Render Element [C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\renderoutput\Alpha_alpha\re_tile_test_Alpha__tile_1x2_2x2_.jpg]…

I noticed that the error message is from the first job (1x1 of 4x4). Did all the jobs finish and did they all produce this result? Our test was just a box with a camera and a light, and we were rendering out jpgs. If you have a test scene that you want to send us, please do!

Cheers,

• Ryan

It doesn’t work for jpgs. Exr worked once but now I can’t get it to work. tif didn’t work either.
For the exr jobs that dont work now, I can run the tileAssembler manually and it works. Any advice? This is driving everyone crazy.

Ben.

whoa. apparently it did work. just on a delay. like the job reported being done but the assembly finished ten minutes later.

hmmmm. I’ll go over my test data again. jpg never worked.

Maybe we could have a dependant job for the assembly? or a scripted command?

b.

That’s weird. The assembling is done before the task is marked as complete, and is included in the render time as shown in this log:

0: INFO: >Using 64 bit Tile Assembler 0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for [C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\renderoutput\re_tile_test_tile_2x2_2x2_.jpg]... 0: INFO: >Tile Assembler Returned 0 0: INFO: >Processing Render Elements Tiles 0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for Render Element [C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\renderoutput\Diffuse_Diffuse\re_tile_test_Diffuse__tile_2x2_2x2_.jpg]... 0: INFO: >Tile Assembler Returned 0 0: INFO: >Calling Tile Assembler for Render Element [C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\renderoutput\Alpha_alpha\re_tile_test_Alpha__tile_2x2_2x2_.jpg]... 0: INFO: >Tile Assembler Returned 0 0: Render time for frame: 38.161 s 0: Total time for task: 52.773 s

Each job that is submitted for a tile render represents a specific region. This is done so that you can tile render a sequence (ie: job 1 will render region 1 for frames x to y). Assembly is attempted at the end of every job because the jobs can render in any order, but the last job of the group should assemble everything correctly. We’ve discussed using a dependent job to do the assembly, but that’s been left on the burner because this approach seems to work well.

Cheers,

• Ryan

we definitely need
a) to report whether or not the assembly was successful
b) have an easy tool to run the assembly locally via the monitor
c) a cleanup tool for removing the tiles via the monitor

:slight_smile: happy weekend.
Ben.

a) Probably the best way to handle this is to have a separate dependent job that performs the assembly. Maybe for 3.1… :slight_smile:

b) The assembly tool is a command line application in the Deadline client bin folder, and if you run it from a command prompt without any arguments, you’ll get the usage instructions. I imagine that we could have a script in the Monitor to either:
i) Submit an assembly job to Deadline (if we implement ‘a’ above, we’ll already have the plugin in place)
ii) Perform the assembly

c) This could be a separate script, or an option in the script in ‘b’.

We’ve logged these all as feature requests.

Cheers,

• Ryan
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences