AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

3ds Max .bat wrapping

Hello everyone,

At the studio where I work as pipeline engineer, we are using 3ds Max, thus a windows environment.

We have set up a system where softwares are launched through a .bat file (we expect to move this configuration process to python soon).

Setting the environment as machine/profile variables is not possible since we have different flavours of configurations for animation, modeling, an above all scripting. Plus, there are some other steps (such as .ini files alteration) taking place within the .bats.

As stated in the mentionned threads below, it seems that the Max submitter was not ready to use a custom filepath for the executable several years ago.

Do you know if there are any plans on supporting true custom filepath for the executable, and not just ‘path to the 3dsmax.exe’ ?

It would help us a great deal to launch our jobs with Max, properly configured within our platform of scripts/plugins.

Thank you for your support !

Regards,
Valentin

Threads mentionned :

Hello,

So looking into this, it seems like the current plugin code will not allow this. I have asked the devs to take a look into adding support for this type of functionality. I’ll let you know what they come back with.

Hello,

Thank you for your quick answer, looking forward to hearing from you then !

Regards,
Valentin

Hello everyone !

First of all, best wishes to you all for this new year !

Also, I would like to know if there are any news on the subject of a 3ds max .bat wrapper on your side guys ?

We are installing new plugins to our different flavors of max and being able to launch those flavors on our render farm would save us a lot of hassle :wink:

Thank you for your support !
Regards

Hey Valentin,

I looked into the issue we have logged for this one, and the reason the bat won’t work is due to some pathing checks that we do (we check for Max’s version by directly reading the metadata in the executable). Would you be okay with a restriction where any bat files would have to live in the same directory as 3dsmaxcommand.exe? We could then just query for it based on where the batch file is found.

Regards,

Edwin

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences