AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Error on Proxy License

hi
i have just setup my local farm here at home (in germany)
part of a farm network with main HQ in denmark
deadline licenses are found on all nodes no problem
starting to render now and i have gotten the error on almost all nodes now

Error:
Proxy Server error: Unable to connect to the remote server

2017-01-02 01:44:56: PluginException – Proxy Server error: Unable to connect to the remote server

but it happens just every now and then

it is only 9 nodes
and the job was taking over 1-3minutes per frame to render
so i dont think it was trying to read a license excessive amount of times

what could be the cause? is there a way to silence the asking for license so it doesnt need to do it for every single task? any other solutions?

thank you

Well, the Proxy should be for just Deadline communication while the License Forwarder handles usage-based licenses.

I’ll have to take a look at what this error means, so I’ll be digging in the source code. What version of the Proxy is this? Also, what OS is the Proxy running on? We’ve been seeing some issues with OS X / Linux machines hosting it due to some bugs in Mono.

hello
we are not running usage based license
running lic server 8.1

windows 10 .64bit

should we be doing soemthing different? lic forwarder? we are not sure about that

=======================================================
Error

trying again
it happens every so often, on different nodes, not ones in particular

Error

Error:
at h.a(Exception A_0, NetworkManager A_1, String A_2, Int32 A_3, String A_4)
at Deadline.StorageDB.Proxy.ProxyJobStorage.GetTask(String jobID, Int32 taskID, Boolean invalidateCache)
at Deadline.Plugins.DeadlinePlugin.SetCurrentTask(String taskID, Int32 startFrame, Int32 endFrame)
at Deadline.Plugins.PluginWrapper.RenderTasks(String taskId, Int32 startFrame, Int32 endFrame, String& outMessage, AbortLevel& abortLevel)
---------- Inner Stack Trace ----------
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)

The license forwarder is responsible for the client applications being allowed to use UBL. We re-route the license requests using it, but Deadline itself does not require the forwarder as we can bake the license code into our products.

As far as this error, it may be because we are not re-trying the connection if it fails. Most applications will try multiple times to connect before giving up, and we may have not done so here. I’ll ask the development team and report back once I have more information!

Also, when these occur, are they just for one time or do they seem to fail over and over?

hi
it happenes repeatedly

Error

Unable to connect to the remote server

Type

WebException

Stack Trace

Error

Error:
at h.a(Exception A_0, NetworkManager A_1, String A_2, Int32 A_3, String A_4)
at Deadline.StorageDB.Proxy.ProxyJobStorage.GetTask(String jobID, Int32 taskID, Boolean invalidateCache)
at Deadline.Plugins.DeadlinePlugin.SetCurrentTask(String taskID, Int32 startFrame, Int32 endFrame)
at Deadline.Plugins.PluginWrapper.RenderTasks(String taskId, Int32 startFrame, Int32 endFrame, String& outMessage, AbortLevel& abortLevel)
---------- Inner Stack Trace ----------
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)

Type

RenderPluginException

Hello,

What version of Deadline 8 are you currently running?

Regards,

Charles

we just updated to the latest 8.0141
happens on that one as well

Okay, well it could be in two places: either the app or the network.

The app is a bit of a challenge to check, and if it’s just hitting certain machines I’m inclined to think it’s not a Proxy issue directly (most of the issues I’ve seen tend to affect everybody). So, I guess things to check:

1. Can the failing host connect to the proxy? Try a web browser and throw the proxy address in there.
  2. Proxy log: Are there errors (for good measure)?
  3. Is the machine running out of open files? That’s a typical issue on Linux or Mac. You can try checking with lsof | wc -l and it will list for the whole machine, but not user-based open files.

If this is becoming a problem, is it feasible to get the Slaves off the Proxy? It depends on how idle your farm is and how far away the nodes are. If it’s a bug we’ll fix it, I just don’t want to impact your workflow while we figure this out.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences