AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

V-ray, modo, Deadline 8

I’m a little confused so wanted to ask here in case I’m missing something. I have been playing with the license free Deadline 8.0.12.4 version (not yet updated to the 8.0.13.3). When I try and render an animation using V-ray (for modo), all of my frames are getting written out with the same name so that I only ever have one image in the destination folder - the frame number isn’t getting inserted in the output name.

Is this expected?

Hey Phil,

Sorry for missing this. We’ll try and tackle this here.

Silly question, but what are you output settings for Modo? Specifically, are you using the output pattern options? By default Deadline is going to let Modo do what it likes based on what you provided, but the submitter does have the option to override it. We have some documentation about this over here:
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … -rendering

The output settings are OK - they are the same as I used to previously render an earlier version of the scene using modo itself under Deadline. The output pattern is the same as well. The only thing I did differently for submitting the scene to render with V-ray was to set that option on in the submission dialog. I didn’t try any output overrides in Deadline.

Hmm. Would you be willing to try setting up a similar scene with a cube and maybe one image as a test to post here? I haven’t heard of many problems with output pathing recently, but I also haven’t heard much about V-Ray for Modo either.

Here you go.
test.zip (544 KB)

Hmm. It looks like the installer we have for V-Ray for Modo isn’t co-operating. I’ve asked IT to grab me a more recent version so I can test things.

Any news?

Hey Phil,

We finally got everything working. Here is an attached plugin file that should fix everything for you, just extract it to \plugins\Modo.

Please let me know how it works for you,
Grant

I don’t see an attachment but I’m viewing on my phone

woops missed the attachment
Modo.zip (9.95 KB)

Okay, so an update here (thanks for the poke):

I seem to be able to get the frame numbers seemingly by default. I installed V-Ray 3.40.02 on my Mac and ran it through. I did change the output filename to “/Users/edwin.amsler/Downloads/test/output/frm”, but nothing else was changed. Here is the output folder:

The name is pretty ugly, but it does seem to be working. I submitted from modo 901 to Deadline 8.0.13.3. What versions are you running on your side?

Curiously, I’m now getting a fail of this form :

2017-01-29 21:22:42:  0: STDOUT: Received command: EXECUTE: !vray.render.animation True
2017-01-29 21:22:42:  0: STDOUT: Command '!vray.render.animation True' failed with -2071986171
2017-01-29 21:22:42:  0: Done executing plugin command of type 'Render Task'

OK. I managed to fix it up by tweaking the modo python script to add the DVray_file in the following line, which seems to be related to vrmesh proxies :

if name.lower() == 'filename' or name == 'file' or name == 'pattern' or name == 'irrLName' or name == 'irrSName' or name == "filePath" or name == "filePattern" or name == "scene" or name == "vray_file":

Thanks Phil. I’ll forward this on to Grant for review.

Larger tweak for other V-ray paths :

if name.lower() == 'filename' or name == 'file' or name == 'pattern' or name == 'irrLName' or name == 'irrSName' or name == 'filePath' or name == 'filePattern' or name == 'scene' \ or name == 'vray_file' or name == 'vray_filename' or name == 'vray_filepath' or name == 'vray_prepass_fileName' or name == 'vray_ptex_file' or name == 'vray_irr_file' or name == 'vray_lc_file' or name == 'vray_phomap_file' \ or name == 'vray_caus_file' or nane == 'vray_lens_file' or name == 'vray_stereo_shademap_file' or name == 'vray_cache_cache_path':

Thanks Phil!

Note, one of your variable names has a typo in it:

nane == 'vray_lens_file'

I assume this isn’t a duplicate typo?

vray_cache_cache_path

D’oh for the first; for the second, that’s the channel name I was given by the Chaos Group developer of Vray for modo. It caught my eye, but I haven’t yet had time to set up a file with the channel in use.

I’m still fighting with Path Mapping to get a scene that works without rendering black under Deadline, so it’s taking some of my time away from the other stuff.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences