AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Possible to import a running job from Deadline 7 to Deadline 8?

I’m finally getting ready to move from Deadline 7 to 8, but I have a big job that’s been slowly processing in the background for a few weeks that I don’t want to lose. I could try to go in and re-submit it do Deadline 8, but only submit the frames that didn’t run on 7, but that’s sort of a pain. Is there any way to suspend it in 7 and then import it (ideally the whole job, but it’s fine if it’s only the waiting frames) into my new 8 repository?

I haven’t seen anything documented about doing this, so I’m guess the answer is no. It’s worth asking, though. :slight_smile: Thanks!

It looks like I can import archived jobs from 7 into 8, so I’m going to try:

1. Failing my big job
  2. Archiving it from 7
  3. Importing the archive into 8
  4. Retrying failed frames

I probably won’t make the changeover until early next week, so let me know if anything in that plan seems like a Very Bad Idea.

We don’t officially support the archive/importing of Deadline jobs between MAJOR versions of Deadline, ie: 7 -> 8. MINOR versions is just fine. That said, it might work…The reason for this is that MAJOR versions of Deadline allow us to carry out ‘breaking’ changes to our DB backend, so the ‘core’ dev team make no promises that the Deadline “job object” may or may not get touched.

So, the official recommendation is always to let all jobs finish up rendering in D7, before moving over to D8.

I will make a docs improvement to explicitly explain this.

You can also do a gradual changeover and let the 7 Slaves trickle finish the job. Not ideal given that you wouldn’t get the whole farm behind it, but it’s what some studios do if they have a day or two worth of rendering to finish up.

Thanks for the update! This job probably has another couple of weeks of rendering, if left to trickle through the farm, so I’ll try a naive archive/import and just resubmit it fresh if anything funny happens with that.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences