AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Reported OS not very specific on CentOS

We’re currently in the process of transitioning from Fedora 19 to CentOS 7.3, and I’ve noticed one peculiar difference between Deadline’s information on the two operating systems (using 8.0.12.4). For Fedora machines, the “OS” column in the monitor displays "Fedora release 19 (Schrodinger’s Cat), but for CentOS, it just says “Linux”. It would be nice if that information was a little more descriptive.

+1

we have a mix of centos versions, it looks like some times it works, some times it doesnt.
The only linux nodes that show up as linux for us are , centos 6.5 machines.
dl_linux_name.PNG

This is from our Slave FAQ (docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … -ref-label).

On Linux, the Slave is reporting that the operating system is simply ‘Linux’, instead of showing the actual Linux distribution.

In order for the Slave to report the Linux distribution properly, you need to have lsb installed, and lsb_release needs to be in the path. You can use any package management application to install lsb.

If you have lsb installed and lsb_release in the path, and it’s still not working, let us know and we can investigate further.

Cheers,
Ryan

Thanks Ryan… I would not have thought to check the FAQ for this issue.

Turns out our new render node imaging manifest hadn’t been updated to include redhat-lsb-core (which provides lsb_release). After adding that and restarting the slave, everything looks good.

Glad to hear that worked! Perhaps we could add something to the Slave log when it’s unable to properly detect the Linux distribution, and then it could mention installing lsb to fix the issue.

Yeah, that certainly sounds like it would be helpful.

I did a little digging on this, and it does look like lsb_release is written differently for each distro. The one on one of my CentOS machines looks in these two locations:

/etc/centos-release
/etc/debian_version

No idea where it would be for RHEL or Ubuntu. “/etc/debian_version” for Ubuntu will show the Debian version that it’s based on for example.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences