AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

C4D Takes with depndencies and JobIDs

Hi
I’m contemplating implementing an option in our custom C4D submitter that would make it possible to submit jobs with many Takes where the takes can have dependency relationships between them.
I would solve the relationships in C4D with a strick Take naming regime.
But in order to be able to prepare and check the dependencies before submitting I’m wondering if i can set my own JobIDs. This way i wouldn’t have to first submit all the Takes in order to get their JobIDs and then set their dependencies from the submitter.

EDIT: The Houdini submitter seems to have similar functionality when ifd rendering is dependent on the houdini export job. But i’m not sure i understand how it works.

Any ideas appreciated.

-b

Hey Bonsak,

There are a couple of ways of handling this the first is to set up all of the jobs and then submit them at once (using either SubmitMultipleJobs or dependsonprevious). The more common way to handle it is to submit one job at a time and then get the jobId from the output after rendering and then use that for the future submission, an example of how we do this can be scene in the houdini submitter.

There is no direct way of setting up a jobId before hand though.

This is the basics of how we pull the jobId from a submission.

jobResult = CallDeadlineCommand( arguments )
jobId = "";
resultArray = jobResult.split()
for line in resultArray:
    if line.startswith( "JobID=" ):
        jobId = line.replace( "JobID=","" )
        break

Grant

Thanks for the code example! This will not be to complex to set up it seems.
Would be cool if there was an option to reserve JobID’s by sending a simple command before setting up the submission of multiple jobs though. “reserverjobids(int number_of_jobs)” :slight_smile:

-b

We’ve been talking about maybe extending the “deadlinecommand submitmultiplejobs” or creating a custom file format to support complex dependency chaining. I’m adding this forum thread over there so we have more examples to consider.

Great. Sounds very interesting!

-b

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences