AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

OSX hangs when running "deadlinecommand" binary

Hi All,

I’m a newb with Deadline, so I may be missing something – but when I attempt to run the After Effects submission script for Deadline 8.0, my AE session hangs. I traced it down to when “DeadlineAfterEffectsClient.jsx” calls:

result = system.callSystem(commandLine);

which calls the “deadlinecommand” binary in my Client’s Resources folder.
if I call that command in Terminal (with the arguments):

"/Applications/Thinkbox/Deadline8/Resources/deadlinecommand" GetRepositoryPath submission/AfterEffects/Main

then I get as a result:

/Volumes/DeadlineRepository8/submission/AfterEffects/Main

But then the terminal hangs for an age (I thought it just froze, but it seems to hang for about 10 minutes, then the prompt returns)

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Hello,

Your issue sounds a lot like one we are seeing in our ticket system. Can you verify if you or anyone at your company submitted a ticket to our support system about this issue today?

For other people hitting this, it’s usually an issue with how Mono keeps background threads alive, and how the Mongo middleware uses those threads.

TL;DR: Filter down the lists of hosts in “[repo]/settings/connection.ini” (or “dbConnect.xml” for the older Deadlines) to just one hostname or IP address. You’ll find it in the “hostname” section.

For every host in the file, the middleware spawns a thread. For every one that successfully connects, the thread exits immediately. For every one that fails, it will hang until the connection gives up. On Microsoft’s .net implementation, a background thread closes immediately once the main thread(s) are done and they are done once the command finishes (returns that text you saw) and it’s supposed to clean up. I’m hoping this little inconsistency will be fixed when we version bump Mono in Deadline 9.0

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences