AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

What characters are supported for a Softimage scene name?

Hey,

We seem unable to render scene files with any characters in them other than [a-z], [A-Z], or “.”, or “_”.

We have quite long files names, and I’ve been asked to support having brackets in the files names “()”

Although we can render locally from a file called, this_is_my_file(top).ma, it won’t render in Deadline.

I was wondering if there was a way to enable this?

I suppose we should just use another character!

Cheers,
Shaun.

Hey Shaun,
Is this submitting from within Maya to Deadline and/or submitting via the Deadline Monitor? Do these additional characters such as “()” only appear in the Maya “scene” file name or as per your thread post “title”, did you mean: “Maya Script filename?” I just want to clarify where you were encountering this issue and via which entry point?
Thanks!
Mike

Hey Mike,

Sorry, my bad - wrong software. This is only happening with Softimage scene files.

Eg: The following scene won’t render on deadline:

layout_main_TEST_(testing).scn
layout_main_TEST_(testing).scntoc

The following scene does render on Deadline:

layout_main_TEST_testing.scn
layout_main_TEST_testing.scntoc

I know we could stop using brackets, but I’ve been asked to get them to work…

Oh, and the scenes are submitted from within XSI using the Deadline Submitter tool.

Cheers

Ah, ok, that makes much more sense! :slight_smile:

I can reproduce this issue. I’ll look into a fix for you. In the meantime, it should only be affecting our “Batch plugin”, so switching to use the “Softimage” non-batch version will render fine.

Quick question for you Shaun. Is the ONLY place you use brackets is the XSI scene filename? ie: Do you ever use brackets in say, the “RenderPass” name or “Render Output Directory” or anywhere else: “FxTreeOutputFile” or “FxTreeOutputNode”? I can edge case just the scene filename, but I want to make sure I capture all possible scenarios here.

Thanks Mike. That’s good you’re able to reproduce it!

It is only in the filename. Not in the directory name or any of the passes.

Cheers

Ok, cool. See attached fixed vbs script. Unzip and copy over to:

“<your_repo>/plugins/SoftimageBatch/SoftimageBatchStartup.vbs”

Let us know if that fully resolves your issue for you?

SoftimageBatchStartup.vbs.zip (1.53 KB)

That fix did the trick - it works now.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this Mike :smiley:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences