AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline 9 Windows 10

We have upgraded to windows 10 using 3dsmax 2017 with vray 3.5 and deadline 9.0.0.18.

When submitting a vray spawner job from 3dsmax via the 3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms script we have got a .net error.

This is an excerpt of the maxscript listener:

Welcome to MAXScript.

– MAXScript ExecuteMAXScriptScript Exception:
– Unknown property: “SetMaxInfo” in undefined
– MAXScript callstack:
– thread data: threadID:13000

– [stack level: 0]
– In loadAssembliesFromPointer()
– member of: Rollout:VFBPlus2Rol
– Parameters:
– ptr: 140710795141536L
– size: 877568
– Locals:
– result: -3012
– dnBytes: dotNetObject:System.Byte[]
– size: 877568
– assembly: dotNetObject:System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly
– iPtr: dotNetObject:System.IntPtr
– maxVerString: “19000.48.0”
– ptr: 140710795141536L
– maxVer: #(19000, 48, 0)
– totalRam: “134.122”
– maxRelease: “3dsmax 2017 64-bit”
– Externals:
– owner: Rollout:VFBPlus2Rol
– root: dotNetObject:VFBPlus2.Root
– VFBPlus2Rol: Rollout:VFBPlus2Rol
– history: undefined

– [stack level: 1]
– called from top-level

Failed to Load VFB+. Please contact support. Error code: %i
Running submission script “V:_Deadline_Repository9\submission/3dsmaxVRayDBR/Main/3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms”
3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline Script File FOUND in the Deadline Repository…
3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline Macro UPDATED.
– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: V:_Deadline_Repository9\submission\3dsmaxVRayDBR\Main\3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms; position: 63181; line: 1717
– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: V:_Deadline_Repository9\submission\3dsmaxVRayDBR\Main\3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms; position: 63181; line: 1717
– MAXScript dotNet event handler Exception:
– Runtime error: FileStream cannot create: C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2017 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vray_dr.cfg
– MAXScript callstack:

Any idea? .net framework 4.5 and 3.5 is installed.

THX

I have the identical setup running locally here just fine. I see this error:

Unknown property: "SetMaxInfo" in undefined

but this is not a property/variable name used in our code, so I’m kinda suspecting it is being caused by something else:

In loadAssembliesFromPointer() -- member of: Rollout:VFBPlus2Rol Failed to Load VFB+. Please contact support. Error code: %i

So, it might be an idea to temporarily remove “VFB+” to eliminate this out of the equation here.

Another thing to check is; does the user below have write permission to this file? UAC not blocking?

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2017 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vray_dr.cfg

I am still searching for the script which uses the “SetMaxInfo” …

The VFB+ Rollout is the framebuffer of vray I think. It is Vray 3.50.04

Regarding the vray_dr.cfg file. The whole Autodesk folder under user/appdata/local/ is read only. It seems to be a windows 10 bug.
Even if I uncheck “readonly” the checkmark is there again when opening the properties again.

This error happens on 4 workstations. So there must be one identical problem.

Update to this:

With newly created scenes there is now error. It seems that old scenes from 3dsmax 2016 and vray 3.4 are causing this.

Ah, ok. You may need to change the renderer to something else and then change it back to V-Ray. That normally fixes this kind of thing.

I’m pretty sure “VFB+” is this 3rd party VFB and nothing to do with Chaos Group released software: monotoneminimal.com/vfb
Maybe you need a newer version of this 3rd party plugin as well?

If your user accounts don’t have write access to this file, then V-Ray DR won’t be able to save it’s DR settings. This would be very strange as this is user space on your operating system. Perhaps this directory receives its file permission by way of inheritance, so you need to set permissions correctly at a higher level for things to work correctly for you. I assume you are assigning permissions using a user account with local admin privileges to do so?

Thank you for the link to the VFB+ plugin. We have updated it. But the permission issue is still a problem.
The artists work with a standard user (not admin). I have looged in as administrator and set the permissions of the user folder to full control and set the ownership to the user. I think it is a windows 10 bug because there are so many google results of people having this read only checkbox not working. I will continue searching for a solution. Maybe creating a new user or setting permissions via powershell may work.
I will keep this thread updated.

I have the same error again with 3dsmax 2019 and Vray Next Update 1.

Here is the output from Maxscript listener:

Running submission script “\CGIMASTER\deadline_repository10\submission/3dsmaxVRayDBR/Main/3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms”
– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: \CGIMASTER\deadline_repository10\submission\3dsmaxVRayDBR\Main\3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms; position: 71832; line: 1934
– MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception:
– Runtime error: File not open. No I/O allowed: C:\Users\cgi_03\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline10\logs\SetupVRayWithDeadline - [CGI03] - 10-12-2018-0003.log
– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: \CGIMASTER\deadline_repository10\submission\3dsmaxVRayDBR\Main\3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms; position: 71832; line: 1934
– MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception:
– Runtime error: File not open. No I/O allowed: C:\Users\cgi_03\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline10\logs\SetupVRayWithDeadline - [CGI03] - 10-12-2018-0003.log
Running submission script “\CGIMASTER\deadline_repository10\submission/3dsmaxVRayDBR/Main/3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms”
– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: \CGIMASTER\deadline_repository10\submission\3dsmaxVRayDBR\Main\3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms; position: 63058; line: 1723
– Runtime error: FileStream cannot create: C:\Users\cgi_03\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2019 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vray_dr.cfg
– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: \CGIMASTER\deadline_repository10\submission\3dsmaxVRayDBR\Main\3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms; position: 63020; line: 1724
– Compile error: no local declarations at top level: ConfigFile
– In line: local configFile =

I have already tried to render as Administrator or with a fresh new Windows user account.
I am on Windows 10 1803, 3dsmax 2019.2, Vray Next Update 1, Deadline 10.0.23.4

Any idea why the access to the log and vray_dr.cfg files are blocked?

I’m not sure, but that’s an OS problem so you can start doing investigating yourself. Just try creating / editing these files:

C:\Users\cgi_03\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline10\logs\SetupVRayWithDeadline - [CGI03] - 10-12-2018-0003.log
C:\Users\cgi_03\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2019 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vray_dr.cfg

Standard OS stuff: Walk the paths, check the folders along the way, try and create / edit some files. It’s possibel the vray_dr.cfg is already in use, but I can’t say why Deadline can’t create a file. An interesting note here though is that I don’t have a ‘logs’ folder. I believe the SMTD might create one (I don’t have it on my workstation at the moment).

Let me know what you investigation shows and we can go from there.

I have again the problem that Deadline Vray DBR throws an error in 3dsmax 2020 and Deadline 10.1.5.1:

Here is the ouput of the debug log of the deadline submission script:

– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: \192.168…\Deadline10\submission\3dsmaxVRayDBR\Main\3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms; position: 63048; line: 1723
– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: \192.168…\Deadline10\submission\3dsmaxVRayDBR\Main\3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms; position: 63048; line: 1723
– Runtime error: FileStream cannot create: C:\Users\Administrator.CGI03\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2020 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vray_dr.cfg
– Runtime error: FileStream cannot create: C:\Users\Administrator.CGI03\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2020 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vray_dr.cfg

I have tried setting the permissions on the vray_dr.cfg file with everyone Full Control or logged in as Admininstrator. I tried even setting the permission via the domain controller, but the error remains.
Any idea?

I wonder if .net is being clever and checking every folder along the path?

Are you able to change the file in Notepad while logged in as the “Administrator.CGI03” user?

Yes. I can edit the fil in notepad and save it. I wonder if there are any background procceses in Deadline or 3dsmax for executing commands like deadlinebg.exe or another exe for executing the maxscript from the Deadline repository. I also tried setting the “appdata” folder and all subdirectories to Full control for my user and also tried everyone.
When I create a simple scene in 3dsmax it renders fine without the permission problems. When loading a complex interior scene the error comes back. It feels like a second app tries to modify the vray_dr.cfg file.

Here is an update. I have used proccess monitor to dig down what happens in the background. It seems that 3dsmax is creating the file vray_dr.cfg several times and sometimes there are sharing violations. During this sharing violations an error pops up in 3dsmax saying: cannot create filestream …vray_dr.cfg

Any news on this issue? Do you have an idea why this sharing violation occurs?

Oh, this is reminding me of an old problem. I pinged a team mate who knows a bit more about it and he may chime in.

The only thing unusual about your setup is the age of Deadline 9 versus the age of Max 2020. I’m not sure how many users make use of the V-Ray DR submitter, but I would have thought that someone else would have reported this. That lead me to read over the 10.0 release notes, but I didn’t spot anything that called out the configuration file or file access problems directly.

Then I looked around the submitter itself, and we do open and close the file a few times (look for “DRConfigFile” there if you’re curious). From the code, it seems that our implementation would fail to close the file if an exception happened during UpdateJob, so that’s making sense based on what you sent last week.

Is that the only output from the submission script? That line 1723 is the first one in the function that tries to do anything with the file, so it’s already locked before we got there (from what I see so far).

Getting output from the MaxScript listener I’m hoping might also be helpful. Can you send that as well?

Here is the ouput from the Maxscript Listener. But to make things clear we use Deadline 10.1 for this as I wrote 8 days before this. The error was the same with Deadline 9 and 3dsmax 2019. We just tried to use 3dsmax 2020 to test out if it 3dsmax related.
Do I get this issue right? That there are too many file write and close operations on the vray_dr.cfg file?

Running submission script "\192.168.\Deadline10\submission/3dsmaxVRayDBR/Main/3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms"
– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: \192.168.
\Deadline10\submission\3dsmaxVRayDBR\Main\3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms; position: 63063; line: 1723
– Runtime error: FileStream cannot create: C:\Users\cgi03\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2020 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vray_dr.cfg
– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: \192.168.\Deadline10\submission\3dsmaxVRayDBR\Main\3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms; position: 63063; line: 1723
– Runtime error: FileStream cannot create: C:\Users\cgi03\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2020 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vray_dr.cfg
– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: \192.168.
\Deadline10\submission\3dsmaxVRayDBR\Main\3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms; position: 63063; line: 1723

Any news on this? Would it be an option to disable all pop up error messages in the script:
3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms

Or do you have a bugfix for the vray dr submitter?

Do you have any news on this issue?

Assuming its not a permissions issue, V-Ray itself might be trying to update/write to this file during rendering and we hit a share violation then. We might need to gate our writing.

Ok. At the moment we have modified the script 3dsmaxVRayDBR2Deadline.ms to disable all pop up errors. The rendering seems to run fine, but I guess the share violations remain in the background.

Hi Mike
do you alraedy have an updated script? We still have the error even with disabled pop errors.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences