AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Jigsaw & Camera Types

Hi,

Does Jigsaw support different vray camera types like spherical or 6x1 cube?

It just seems to render black when I make a new region from 3dsmax region gizmo.

Thanks.

I would expect it to work, but you have to think about where the region you created is relative to what the special camera is rendering. Even without Jigsaw, if you set a Max Region and render in V-Ray with a Cube 6x1 camera, chances are you might get a black output unless the region happens to cover and area of the image that contains data. Note that the Max Region in Viewport screen space does not apply to what you see in the viewport, but what you see in the VRay Framebuffer. In other words, let’s assume you are rendering an image that is 3840 x 640 in size. If you set up a Max region in the Render Setup dialog that covers the whole height of the viewport, and the left 1/6th of the image, you will not get what is seen in that region in the viewport, but what is seen by the right view along the camera’s -X axis. If there is something to the right of the camera, it should show up. If there is nothing, you will get black. Note that I am not even talking about Jigsaw, but about the Max Region Rendering and VRay.

Jigsaw simply renders multiple Render Regions using the Max+VRay feature set, and stitches them together. So you always need to figure out what Max+VRay would do without Deadline before exploring what Deadline or SubmitMaxToDeadline or Jigsaw would do…

I just tested a 6x2 grid of Jigsaw tiles (created from the Tiles setup of SMTD itself). The camera had a few objects in front of it, and nothing else around it. As result, only the right-most tiles #5 and #11 representing the top and the bottom half of the front viewport contained any non-black pixels, all the other regions were completely black. If you set up an Environment map so the background is not black, you will get a better idea what each Jigsaw region is really “seeing”…

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences