AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

2 Deadline Repo's on the same server?

Hi,

Is it ok to have a deadline 8 and deadline 9 repo on the same server (with a different share name) whilst we move everything to 9?

We still have some jobs queued up on 8 that need finishing, but would like to get the users to start using 9 in the meantime. I’m just not sure if they will share config files or anything.

Thanks.

+1 for an answer to this.

Went through and did this anyway, everything seems fine running 8 and 9 together on the same server.

Oh, yeah. That’s absolutely fine. I’ve got a few versions running on my machine :stuck_out_tongue:

The main thing is that they get their own install folders and you use the default ports. Then life oughta be just fine.

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 9.34.33 AM.png[/attachment]

And how do you sort out submission scripts from inside apps to different repos?
Is it possible to have “Submit to Deadline X” or “Submit to Deadline Y”

The environment variable: DEADLINE_PATH sets the path to which version of Deadline client software you are using. In turn, this will grab either your Deadline 8 or Deadline 9 repo path as currently used by each respective version of Deadline on your machine. The actual in-app client submission scripts tend not to change much and they are a proxy script which in turn pulls the latest version from the repo that you are currently connected to, which is controlled by that env var above. During initial testing, you can easily change this env var on your machine manually via the GUI or depending on your OS, just “set” the “env var” to a different path.

Also, because the Mac is a bit tricky when it comes to environment variables, we write the path to the Deadline binary in “/Users/Shared/Thinkbox/DEADLINE_PATH”. It’ll need to be a single line without any special spacing. Here’s mine:

Mobile-029:Thinkbox edwin.amsler$ cat /Users/Shared/Thinkbox/DEADLINE_PATH 
/Applications/Thinkbox/Deadline9/Resources
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences