AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

remote licence server

Hello,
Need a bit of help with licencing.
I’ve got licence server up and running on an server, and all computers on that local network are connected and working… all good.
Also have running proxy server, all ports setup, everything fine.
Now on another computer on different location. Got slave installed there and connected to proxy repository without problems.
But I’m not sure what settings I need to connect to that remote licence server as well?
Which port to use?
I tried using @ but no luck.
Couple other combos also no luck.
So in a nutshell how to connect to licence server running on remote location?
Thanks

The bad news is that you cannot forward Flex-enabled license ports via the Proxy. There are options here though:

1. Split some licenses off for the remote office (this would count as a relocation)
  2. Setup a VPN or another TCP forwarding solution for ports 27008 and 2708
  3. Purchase UBL credits for the remote office

I think option 1 is likely the best if you have a finite number of machines in that remote office, and maybe make use of UBL credits if not all the machines are used every day.

I was trying VPN it kinda work but messes up some other thing I have setup.
Whats that with that licence splitting?
If I understood correctly I can have one licence here on remote location as l;icence in file and then others to be on licence server, standard. Right?
I could look more into VPN as well to see maybe I can figure out those messed up things but if there is another solution that would be great.

Also now wondering, if there was a case of two locations more computers on both… in that case would probably install two licence servers, on each location and kinda buy them so to say separately?

err it worked actually!

Just forwarded those two ports and it connected to license server. All working fine.
That is what I was looking for actually :slight_smile:
Thanks!!

Okay, but be aware that anyone could scan the public Internet looking for your Deadline licenses and just make use of them.

It’s easier than you think:
shodan.io/search?query=27008

Back to license splitting, we would set up two servers and have some licenses on one, and some on the other. That would remove the need for cross-Internet communication. UBL is hosted entirely in the cloud, so it will work anywhere with Internet access and also be safe. It’s billed by the minute though, so that may or may not be right for you.

Seems like two separate licence servers each for one location would be better solution.
That does complicate things if you wanna add for example 3rd location too…

Can server be setup to accept connections and licence requested only from a list of machines / IPs?

In a nutshell there are couple render nodes on one location and then 1 more computer at home that s also used for rendering as well.
Finally as third option if you wish to add like one more on for example work place or something… complicates things…

Also at the end if all licences on server are used up and all slaves running then basically no one else can jump in and use anything at all.
Also looking into routers and check if it is possible to block ALL inbound connections except selected IP address…
Shooting a bit in a dark here just figuring what would be best option.
But overall not that big problem as remote accessing will probably be temporarily.

Btw what about using licence file instead of licence server?
There would be file for each slave or is would be 1 file on location accessible by all slaves?
In case of just small number of slaves that shouldn’t be too complex option I guess… if it works like that?

Hmm. Now with a better overview of things, I think a better option is to help you set up OpenVPN. Can you open a support ticket at support@thinkboxsoftware.com and we’ll get you sorted out with a VPN solution?

I was testing VPN, both routers on location got simple support for it and all good, but was getting some other issues with network devices. For example NAS, 1 on each location have same network name which creates problems so would have to change that but that complicates some other path related issues when rendering…
Will have to check out some things, test and probably reorganize all naming, paths, drive mapping and everything so that all machines are able to keep accessing proper NAS and locations.
It is not good if computer on one location start loading huge scenes over internet from another location due to mapped drive so would need to remap everything I guess and then it should work.

True it would sort out some of other things for deadline like remote access to slaves on another location and managing them over monitor. Will look again into VPN

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences