AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Timed out waiting for the next progress update, why?

Hey guys!

I am hoping to get some help on some strange, and annoying errors we have been getting since we updated to Deadline 8, from the old 5.2

We are gettings failed jobs on a daily basis with the error “Error: Timed out waiting for the next progress update.” , and we cannot find any info why. A resubmit solves the issue, and the job starts rendering just fine.

Our setup is a below

6 Ques, running deadline 8.0.9.1
VRAY 3.40.03
3DSMAX 2014

We have a number of slaves connected to the ques, all with the same setup.

Our jobs are being submitted to the que by the 3d-artist

attached is the info from 1 failed job just now, that worked just fine after i re-submitted it.

i have had 3 of them in under 15 mins now, and they are all working just fine again. They did fail on different QUE´s, so it should not be related to that.

Thanks!

//Rickard
deadline.txt (25.9 KB)

Is this a FumeFX or similar simulation? I’m not sure when we added the timeout, but I’m fairly sure it predates me (~Deadline 4.1).

You can disable that timeout altogether (required for FumeFX) under “Rendering Options”:
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … ng-options

I think I’ve remembered the root cause of this issue (logged somewhere in a dark place in my head). I think you need to startup 3ds Max on each of your rendernodes (which are typically also used as workstations with this given error) using “Admin” rights at least once and ensure these exceptions are in place on each machine if the Windows firewall is enabled:
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … iderations

IIRC, this error message is due to file/directory permissions as well:

Make sure the user starting up 3ds Max via Deadline Slave is a “Power User” or higher. Alternatively, check file/dir permissions on anything under:

and make sure the user has access to these files.

Finally, try purging any “cached” thumbnail files from under: “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2014\CachedThumbnails” as it could be a bad cache file somewhere.

@eamsler Nope, no FumeFX here. Interesting thou… We will try to disable the progress update on all jobs for now

@MikeOwen Super, i will have our network team look in to the FW, and will start to look in to the rest myselfe.

Oki, so far i have no luck.

I have asked a few of our 3d-artist to check the “disable progress update”, but still jo fails with the same error.

I have also lowered UAC to lowest, and added full access to the path on c:, it should already be so. But i added them under security also.

Attached is the last 2 errors i got.
timeout.txt (50.6 KB)

ok, you have been able to successfully resolve your first issues! Now, for some more!

1. You must always run exactly the same version of 3ds Max on all your machines. Undesired render results will most likely happen otherwise. See here in your log this warning:

2017-04-19 13:19:27: 0: INFO: Slave 3dsmax.exe version: 16.5.277.0
2017-04-19 13:19:27: 0: INFO: Slave 3dsmax.exe description: 3ds Max 2014 + servicepack_sp5
2017-04-19 13:19:27: 0: INFO: Submitted from 3dsmax.exe version: 16.6.556.0
2017-04-19 13:19:27: 0: WARNING: Slave’s 3dsmax version is NOT the same as the 3dsmax version that was used to submit this job! Unexpected results may occur!

So, your Slave is on 2014 SP5, but you are submitting from a workstation running a newer version of 2014 SP6. Most likely this is the root cause of your issues.

1. You are running Deadline 8.0.9.1 (SP9 of Deadline 8), which had its final SP17 (8.0.17.1) released some time ago:
    docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … ease-notes
    I would highly recommend always running the latest SP of Deadline. Note, Deadline 9 is also now out:
    docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … ease-notes

2. In Monitor -> Super User -> Configure Plugins… -> 3dsmax. Please enable this setting to kill Autodesk Comms Center:
    docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … figuration

Kill ADSK Comms Center Process:

Hey Mike!

Yea, the different version was news for me also? We push out our applications via a management utility, so the only way that there should be diffent versions is if the user have installed it manually. As this person had done when i checked with him :slight_smile:

Thanks for the headsup, we are looking into to Deadline 9, but are not really ready to take the step yet. Will most likely start with updating to SP17.

I have tried to change the setting to kill autodesk comms center.

Huge thanks for the assistance ! Highly appreciated!

@MikeOwen

Ok, a little status update from us here.

We have done the following,

We have added the local admin user as a user with full access in the folder C:\Program Files\Autodesk\
UAC is not a valid option for us, because our IT dep resets the level from the domain top. But the added user seams to work.
That i suppose have sorted out the permission error.

Network team have verified that all is good in fw , and we start the app in admin mode once when it´s installed.

We have enable the setting to kill autodesk cooms center.

We have been running for 48 hours without any fails, coming from having several per day, this seams like a really really good way forward.

Thanks for the support this far! :smiley:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences