AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Client / Submission Script installers can't see mapped network drives.

I’ve been running into problems with the Deadline 9.0.1.1 installation process. When I try to update the deadline repository via Window 10 I’m not able to navigate to any of my mapped network drives. The file chooser window only shows local drives. Additionally, the client installer is suffering from the same problems on Windows 10. I can’t actually choose my repository to continue the installation as it exists on a mapped network drive. Luckily, we have some windows 7 computers at the office still and I was able to update Deadline via those computers.Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

It’s actually a UAC problem and it’s been around since Windows Vista introduced it. It only affects administrator accounts because of how Windows handles security for when you “Run as admin”. Here’s some info:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel … in-windows

You probably haven’t seen this before because Deadline is one of the few apps that actually needs access to network shares from the installer. One workaround is to provide the UNC path, another is to run the Repo installer on the Repository machine.

For the integrated submitters, UNC path will work but the mapped drive won’t. I’m hoping we can bundle a copy of the files they need from the Repo along with each installer which would negate the need for the network share at all.

I ran into this as well and found a pretty easy way around it. Since the volume has been mounted at the user level, you just need to mount it again as an admin so that it’s visible within that “permission space”, if that makes sense. To do that, open a command prompt as admin (via right click on the windows start menu) and then enter something like:

net use Z: \server.corp.com\volume

with your server’s hostname and the name of the volume. Note that it’s fine to use the same drive letter it’s already been mapped to with user permissions. It should print “The command completed successfully.” and now the volume will be visible to you in the installer when the permissions are elevated to admin.

That’s not bad! If it weren’t for passwords, we could probably automate something like that in the installers.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences