Altus denoise multi GPU usage

Discussion and Support of Deadline, the Render Management System
mirkoj

Altus denoise multi GPU usage

Postby mirkoj » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:25 am

Hi,
I'm testing newly added Altus support at the moment.
Looks promising but two things that would help out a lot!

1. Submitter script from Aluts. Loading cfg file makes things pretty easy for sure but having it there would be awesome as well.
2. Support for multi GPU similar to Redshift. You can select GPU to use inside Altus. Would be great to run concurrent tasks each with 1 selected GPU.

Makes sense?
Thanks!

mirkoj

Re: Altus denoise multi GPU usage

Postby mirkoj » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:00 pm

btw one small notice...
if output folder is not existing then processing task will fail. at the moment need to create output folder manually first

MikeOwen

Postby MikeOwen » Mon May 01, 2017 7:01 am

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. This is already possible: http://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc ... on-options
You can declare a *.cfg file, which will override all other Altus settings. Please see the 2nd TAB in the Monitor submitter.

2. I have just added support for this, but need to do some more testing, as I believe InnoBright Altus currently only supports the use of 1 x GPU. ie: Multiple GPU usage is not supported by this application at this time. Do you want to give it a test later this week?

3. I have added some extra code in the plugin file to auto create the output directory if not present. Note, our Monitor submitter already checks during job submission if the output directory is valid/exists. Although, this will fail to catch situations where you are path mapping or traversing different operating systems with different mount points.
Mike Owen
Solutions Architect
Thinkbox / AWS

mirkoj

Postby mirkoj » Mon May 01, 2017 3:32 pm

"2. I have just added support for this, but need to do some more testing, as I believe InnoBright Altus currently only supports the use of 1 x GPU. ie: Multiple GPU usage is not supported by this application at this time. Do you want to give it a test later this week?"

Would love to test it, yes.
They do support use of only 1 GPU BUT we can run multiple Altus GUI instances and then select GPUs to use.
In that case each should be able to work using different GPU.
So it would be simply running:
Altus 1: GPU id 0
Altus 1: GPU id 1
Altus 1: GPU id 2
Altus 1: GPU id 3....
And having Use CPU off and auto select GPU off as well and doing manual selection. Right?

eamsler

Postby eamsler » Tue May 02, 2017 9:53 am

It looks like we've got some work to do to support selecting a specific GPU at startup.

Would you happen to know the flags to specify GPUs? I'll add it to the dev issue we already have for this one.
Edwin Amsler
Head of Support
Thinkbox Software Inc
+1-866-419-0283 ext 804

Winnipeg

MikeOwen

Postby MikeOwen » Tue May 02, 2017 10:17 am

I already have this sorted.
Mike Owen
Solutions Architect
Thinkbox / AWS

mirkoj

Postby mirkoj » Wed May 03, 2017 1:47 pm

wait what? you got selective GPU sorted out?
working?

eamsler

Postby eamsler » Thu May 04, 2017 9:27 am

I think that was a note to me about GPU flags. I didn't see anything on the internal development issue about it, so I asked if you had any ideas about how we could do this in case we could save some research here.

The internal dev ticket is still open, but I'll watch over it for you.
Edwin Amsler
Head of Support
Thinkbox Software Inc
+1-866-419-0283 ext 804

Winnipeg

mirkoj

Postby mirkoj » Thu May 04, 2017 9:46 am

As a matter of fact there may be some an dirty solution.
At the moment they don;t support selection over command line or something like that as I understood so that is limitation of program
BUT!
Selection can be done on cfg level ie you can select 1 GPU and that is saved in .CFG file
So what I did now is to duplicate cfg ffile for the task, replaced device id in that new cfg file and resubmitted that task but gave it to read to second cfg file.
So 2 tasks everything same but they are reading two different .cfg fiole with different device id selected.

1.cfg
gpu=
device-id=0
platform-id=0

2.cfg
gpu=
device-id=1
platform-id=0

But That works as I'm running 2 instances of slaves per machine, each have affinity to use 2 GPUs
So comp1.slave1 reas 1.cfg and renders with gpu0 and another slave is using gpu 1.
Just a matter of affinity, slave instances and cfg files.

Now if there was a way to automate that somehow...
Submit 1 config file but then in background it creates duplicates, edit them and then assign each concurrent task different cfg file to use.
makes sense? :)
But it should assign cfg files per task instead of slave.

edit: sry for all the typo, too much to do, so little time to type properly, I know - my shame :)

MikeOwen

Postby MikeOwen » Tue May 09, 2017 10:54 am

Can I just double-check something here. Are you expecting to define/control the gpu selection within the Altus config file or are you expecting Deadline to control the gpu selection automatically as an override? (Hint: you can't have both). (For the time being, I will implement the 2nd option, but whilst still allowing users to utilise the config file system as well).
Mike Owen
Solutions Architect
Thinkbox / AWS

Return to “Thinkbox Software - Deadline”