AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Request - Sanity Check alerts Region render

Hey.

Dont kow if this is the right place to post a request.
But it would be great if the “Sanity check” in 3ds max submission script was able to detect if the Region render was on.

Hitting the sanity checker before submitting is now second nature. Going “Tiles” tab and turn on use 3ds max region render is not.
So more times then not, i end up rendering full frames when i just wanted a piece :smiley:

Cheers
-Mats

This is tricky. How can we tell that you didn’t want to render a full frame instead of a region? I assume you are referring to the “region” setting under “tiles” tab and not the “region” setting under either the 3dsMax RFW and/or V-Ray’s specific VFB? Do you ONLY ever render regions?

Sorry i might not have been clear enough.

I am referring to the “Area to Render” Drop down in the “Common” Tab under Render Setup inside 3Ds max. where you can choose:

-View
-Selected
-Region
-Crop
-Blowout

I want it to work like single frame.

If you send a job to deadline with “Single” checked under Render setup - Common-Time output instead of range. The sanity check will say

“Can be Fixed - The Render Time Output is set to SINGLE FRAME!”

• Then the user is like… “Ah shit, forgot to sett it to range, glad deadline told me”… Or “Whatever deadline, im gonna render a still image”

Would be nice to have the same fail safe with “Region” under Render setup - Common- Area to Render.

“Can be Fixed - The Render Area is set to REGION!”

• Then the user is like … “Ah, gotta check if i actually set the correct settings in the “Tiles” tab”

The project we are currently working on uses alot of region rendering to patch up the final “Product”
And the Submission plugin “Tiles” settings ain’t sticky. so alot of times when you open and close the submitter you forget to sett the “Tile” setting back to “Use 3ds max region”

Ofcource this is a just a minor thing, and mostly about habbits and keeping the head straight while working.
Just wanted to share the idea and see what people think :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response
-Mats

Hi Mats,

Adding a check for the 3ds Max Render Setup dialog’s “Area To Render” drop-down list is trivial. If you want to add if yourself, simply navigate to your Repository, open the file “SubmitMaxToDeadline_SanityCheck_Private.ms” in the MAXScript editor or another text editor, and modify it like this (assuming you had no previous custom edits - if you had, just add the functions and the additional check line to the existing structs and array):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--THIS FILE CONTAINS YOUR USER-DEFINED CHECKS TO BE PERFORMED AND THE FUNCTIONS
--TO BE USED TO CHECK AND REPAIR THE SCENE BEFORE SUBMISSION
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--THIS FILE WILL **NOT** BE UPDATED AUTOMATICALLY BY THINKBOX SOFTWARE INC
--AND SHOULD BE USED FOR YOUR IN-HOUSE NEEDS.

(
global SMTD_Private_SanityCheckFunctions
global SMTD_Private_SanityChecksToPerform
global SMTD_Private_RepairFunctions 

global SMTD_RepairFunctions
global SMTD_SanityChecksToPerform
global SMTD_SanityCheckFunctions

struct SMTD_Private_SanityCheckFunctions
(
    fn CheckRenderType =
    (
        getRenderType() == #view
    )
)--end struct		

struct SMTD_Private_RepairFunctions 
(
    fn FixRenderType =
    (
        renderSceneDialog.close()
        setRenderType #view
        renderSceneDialog.open()
    )
)--end struct 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--SANITY CHECK PRIVATE DEFINITIONS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMTD_Private_SanityChecksToPerform = #(
    #(SMTD_Private_SanityCheckFunctions.CheckRenderType, #fix, "The Area To Render is NOT set to VIEW!", SMTD_Private_RepairFunctions.FixRenderType, true)
)--end checks array

)--End File

However, I am not sure how this helps with the actual SMTD Region settings, which are kinda independent and never even touch that setting. If you need some sort of warning about the Tile tab’s settings under specific circumstances, please explain so we can look into adding more warning…

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences