AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Maya - Name 'rsm' is not defined

Hi,

We’re testing out the Maya Render Setup with Deadline and running across a problem when we try to submit. I’ve included the error below. It seems to be really struggling to parse through all the render layers or something. We’re currently using Maya 2017 Update 3 and Deadline 9.0.3.0, we’ve also applied the MayaRenderProcedure patch from another post on here and we’re still having issues. Any thoughts on what might be causing it? I’ve included the error below, as well as a screenshot from the submitter.

Hmm. I’m wondering if the line numbers are a little off. Here’s my chunk of SubmitMayaToDeadline:

formLayout -e
		-af buttonColumnLayout bottom 0
		-af buttonColumnLayout right 0
		-af buttonColumnLayout left 0
		-ac mainScrollLayout bottom 0 buttonColumnLayout // <-- Line 8356 is this guy
		-af mainScrollLayout top 0
		-af mainScrollLayout left 3
	$form;

I don’t see any usage of a variable or object name that might be ‘not defined’.

I also didn’t find “rsm” in our code anywhere, so I’m assuming it’s an object in the scene. Would you be able to share an example scene? I’ll take a look over here too…

Update:

One of the devs sent me a note and it looks like it might be a problem with 2017 SP3:

forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-sha … -p/6909820

Want to try switching to legacy render layers yourself and see if that gets passed this issue as well?

Hi Edwin,

We thought it might be something like that so we tried the legacy on Friday and that seems to be working fine. Fairly typical of Autodesk to add a new feature that just doesn’t work!

Thanks

Nick

Well, I’m glad that’s solved. I may change the title here to reflect the problem for future generations. :slight_smile:

Hey,

I´m bringing this up again because we have the same problem at the moment and we can´t get around of it. Switching to legacy renderer is no option for us.

Maya 2017 up4
Arnold
Deadline 10

Error message:

Error: file: …DeadlineRepository/submission/Maya/Main/SubmitMayaToDeadline.mel line 8295: NameError: file line 1: name ‘rsm’ is not defined.

The error message he is pointing to is always different for example: line 8295 next time line: 8337

It also looks like i can only render the last layer which is selected in maya render layers. If i have 4 render Layers in the scene and 1-3 are selected to render it only submit renderlayer 3.

cheers,
alex

Well, as far as I’m aware this bug is inside of Maya itself. My guess is that if legacy render layers are not present, ‘rsm’ isn’t present in the API for their internal scripts to make use of. I double checked the submitter and there isn’t any reference it it directly.

One workaround would be to avoid using the Maya API entirely and submit from the Monitor. Do you have multiple scene files that are affected here or is it one to push through?

Does exporting to Arnold format work?

I find that in order to bypass all of mayabatch’s little foibles I have to do more and more arnold exports to get anything done.

If someone can provide a test case I can spend a little time writing up what triggers this problem. It’s something to do with enumerating the layers, but it’s been well over a year since I dove in last.

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for investigating some time into it. I hopefully will prepare a test scene tomorrow morning and will send it to you so you can log it down.

cheers,
alex

Welcome! It’s often tricky to get those test cases (especially because I don’t use Maya) so I appreciate you being willing to provide one.

Hi Edwin,

I´ve send you a PM and email yesterday. I don´t know if you got this. (wetransfer link with maya scene and 2 pictures)

cheers,

alex

Yup, got the link. Thanks! I’ll make a docs issue for now and handle it when I’ve got some time.

Hey guys,

this apparently is a well known bug: forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-sha … -p/7028182

We’ve been having the same problem for ages now, I first thought it was related to overriding render settings on a per layer basis, but it also happens when you create a render layer by copy-pasting another one and for various other reasons. This will happen in any form of render submission, including batch rendering from inside maya, LocalQueue in renderman or any other one, it’s a Maya issue.

The work around? - Make one render layer visible and renderable at a time and then submit one by one with Deadline.
Once you identify which layer is causing the problem (usually the last one in the list), you’ll be able to submit only that one separately.

cheers

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences