AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

building vray ir maps through deadline

Howdy,

I'm  having a problem using the "Multiframe Incremental" mode for building IR maps with vray when submitted to deadline. 

the nature of the calculation of this map is that it needs to be calculated on one machine.  I do this by creating a pool that uses one machine and submit the job to this pool.  I have the ir calc mode set to multi frame incremental in max which should clear the current map from memory, then it creates a new map for the first frame, then adds detail to this map as it goes through the frames of the animation.

whats happening however is that when I check the properties in deadline of what settings it is using, it has reset itself back to the default which is "single frame" and the map is subsequently not created properly. 

I can use the "incremental add to current map" mode and that seems to be working but I definetly would rather use the other method.

Can someone look into this?

Thanks,

V Miller

eyeballnyc

Hi Vance,

What versions of Deadline/ MaxScript Submitter and what version of Vray are you using?

It may be the case that some features with the new 3ds Max submitter in Deadline 2.5 have not yet been fully fleshed out for Vray 1.47 and above. The new submitter lets you change many renderer settings after they are submitted, and that functionality may be interfering with the IR feature. We will look into this and try to get a temporary fix for you until we can set up these new features properly for Vray 1.47 and beyond.

Best regards,

–Jon

Jon,

I'm currently using vray 1.5rc2 and Deadline 2.5.  The jobs are being submitted to Deadline with the 2.0 version of the max submission script.  So as far as I know I'm using the latest version of everything.

the thing is if I send a job off with ir map set to "single frame" it has that setting in the max 8 properties section when I bring up the job properties by right clicking on it in the deadline monitor. 

when I set it to "incremental add to current frame"  it has that setting displayed in deadline as well.

but when I set it to "Multiframe incremental"  in max and send it to deadline it shows "single frame" in the properties in the deadline monitor.

thanks for looking into this.

Vance Miller

eyeballnyc

We’re thinking of removing that specific feature (as well as a few others) from the list of options you can change from Deadline. You can do this manually yourself in the meantime.

Navigate to the folder //your/repository/plugins/3dsmax8.

In the file 3dsmax8RenderOptions.param, remove this code:

[vray_adv_irradmap_mode_enums]

Type=enum

Label=Adv.IrradianceMap - Mode

Category=V-Ray : Advanced Irradiance Mapping

Description=adv_irradmap_mode

Required=false

DisableIfBlank=true

In the file customize.ms, remove this code:

local theVal = DeadlineUtil.GetJobInfoEntry “vray_adv_irradmap_mode_enums”

if theVal != undefined do (

local theArray = #(“Bucket Mode”,“Single Frame”, “Multiframe Incremental”,“From File”,“Add to Current Map”,“Incremental Add to Current Map”)

local theIndex = findItem theArray theVal

if theIndex > 0 then (

try (

renderers.current.adv_irradmap_mode= theIndex-1

DeadlineUtil.LogMessage (" +Adv.Irradiance Map Mode set to " + theVal )

)catch

DeadlineUtil.LogMessage (" --Failed to set Adv.Irradiance Map Mode to " + theVal )

)

)

This will prevent Deadline from changing this setting on you. We think the problem is that we tested the options with vray 1.09, and some things have likely changed since then. This workaround should get you by until we have the issue resolved.

Cheers,

• Ryan

Ryan,

thanks for the reply.  I'll make the changes you described.

Vance Miller

eyeballnyc

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences